HOW TO DO AN ADVANCED SEARCH.

Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:56 pm by Admin

For the benefit of 944Hybrids users there are two search functions available for you to use.
The purpose of this sticky is to explain the "Advanced Search" function because it is much more powerful and is the best choice when researching information.

When you log on to the site a list of options is shown in a line at the top of the page. One option is labelled "Search", use this option (NOT the search box lower down on the right).

After you click on the upper search option, a drop down box appears. At the bottom of this box is a radio button marked "Advanced …

Comments: 0

Latest topics
» LSA Supercharged 86 Porsche 944
Today at 7:35 am by 4lo

» LS3 conversion
Today at 7:07 am by tannerhwilson

» Clutch disc for LS7 FW/PP assembly
Yesterday at 10:17 pm by sharkey

» Any tips or tricks to fitting a 4" intake setup?
Yesterday at 6:03 pm by murrayg

» Garage sale. Some conversion parts, various 944 parts
Yesterday at 7:37 am by LStuner

» Hello, Gentlemen.
Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:02 am by rawr

» 944 with GM 5.3 / 4l60e / ford 8.8 rear end combo
Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:08 pm by rawr

» Sparkydog's Abnormal Build - 944 With L67 + Ford Stuff & CARB Legal
Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:47 pm by sparkydog

» Blue Alternator Wire
Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:05 am by Rich L.

» A/C parts used for the swap !
Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:49 pm by Porsche951toLS3

November 2018
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

I forgot my password

Techno Duck's LS1 conversion

Page 6 of 15 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 10 ... 15  Next

Go down

Re: Techno Duck's LS1 conversion

Post  Techno Duck on Fri Dec 27, 2013 4:32 pm

Will address that soon, i ordered a resonator, 2 flex pipes and three extra O2 bungs this morning. Just want to get the intake and alignment done, then ill make the changes to the exhaust.

Techno Duck

Back to top Go down

Post  Geoff Daniels on Fri Dec 27, 2013 5:03 pm

Cool, I am about 2 or 3 weeks from being able to fire mine up. I will post some pictures if I can figure out how.

Geoff Daniels

Back to top Go down

Post  Techno Duck on Tue Dec 31, 2013 10:47 am

Test fitted air filter and its tight, but it will work. The only thing to work around now is getting the nose panel to fit flush. It touches the intake pipe near where the hood latch used to be. There are a few things that can be done so i doubt this will take long.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Full shot of the exhaust.

Aerocatch hood latches were finished yesterday but need some fine tuning adjustment. So just the intake needs to be finished up and that is it! The car will be heading over for the the alignment and bias valve relocation friday.

Techno Duck

Back to top Go down

Post  Geoff Daniels on Tue Dec 31, 2013 3:04 pm

Looks good and pretty much exactly how I want to run my intake. Can I ask what parts you used and where you got them. Thanks and Happy New Year.

Geoff Daniels

Back to top Go down

Post  pormgb on Tue Dec 31, 2013 9:09 pm

[quote="Techno Duck"]Test fitted air filter and its tight, but it will work. The only thing to work around now is getting the nose panel to fit flush. It touches the intake pipe near where the hood latch used to be. There are a few things that can be done so i doubt this will take long.

If you have trouble getting your filter to fit, try a Camaro Filter, Corvette C5 filters are thicker. Camaro filters are flatter and have a flatter tube, they fit perfectly under the nose piece. I have my MAF behind the radiator, this allows the Camaro flatter tube to pass through the space between the rad and nose support.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.][/URL

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]]

Last edited by pormgb on Tue Dec 31, 2013 9:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
pormgb

Back to top Go down

Post  docwyte on Tue Dec 31, 2013 9:12 pm

Yep, that's the setup I had initially, until I went with my current y pipe/dual filter arrangement

docwyte

Back to top Go down

Post  Techno Duck on Wed Jan 01, 2014 2:43 pm

That Camaro setup would have fit better for sure! Too late for me now though!

Geoff, there isnt anything too special about the intake setup. Its basically a 3" pipe with a slight turndown on it, maybe a 45 degree angle at the end and the associated couplers. The pipe was put into a press and ovaled slightly in the center section to get more clearance up against the hood. This prevented the need to cut out the underside of the hood on the leading edge.

The air filter is for a C5 Vette, aFe part # 24-90033. Available on Amazon. Though i would look at using the Camaro setup instead. Look at K&N part # 57-3022-2 .

One thing that may make things easier would be using a different MAF. I am using the original from the '04 GTO motor which is a 3 pin MAF with an external air temp sensor. This style MAF uses a 'sky scraper' style setup and is very tall. In some of the pictures you can see how tall the MAF is. The part has since been updated by Delphi to a more generic looking MAF which is much more compact. This might play a roll depending where you end up fitting the MAF. Mine will be right after the filter (same as how its done on the C5 Vette) so it managed to squeeze under the nose panel.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Techno Duck

Back to top Go down

Post  docwyte on Wed Jan 01, 2014 2:45 pm

Interesting. Is that MAF plug n play? What's the diameter of it?

docwyte

Back to top Go down

Post  Techno Duck on Wed Jan 01, 2014 3:23 pm

Doc, the MAF is a direct stock replacement. Take a look at one of the pictures on the Amazon link, it shows a bulletin explaining that its basically an updated part due to manufacturing changes.

Techno Duck

Back to top Go down

Post  docwyte on Wed Jan 01, 2014 3:46 pm

So it's the same 78mm diameter, or is it a 85mm or 90mm MAF?

docwyte

Back to top Go down

Post  Techno Duck on Wed Jan 01, 2014 4:43 pm

It is the same exact MAF you would get if you bought from the dealer, so whatever the stock diameter is.

Techno Duck

Back to top Go down

Post  Geoff Daniels on Wed Jan 01, 2014 4:58 pm

Thanks Jon. I found the K&N for the Camaro on Amazon so I ordered it. I will look into the maf also. My engine came out of a 2000 WS6 Trans Am so I might need a different maf. Thanks for your help!

Geoff Daniels

Back to top Go down

Post  Techno Duck on Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:05 pm

Dropped off flex joints with the shop last week, so these will be added on the exhaust before the car heads to the other shop. The finishing work on the intake was delayed due to the weather last week, car should be heading to the other shop late in the week i hope. As the story usually goes, i am heading back offshore for two weeks tonight.. very hopeful that everything is done when i get back!

Received 4340 Chromoly axles today from XSChop, i love finely machined parts Smile. Not sure which joints i will use yet, but likely the GKN Type-2.

Techno Duck

Back to top Go down

XSCHOP axles

Post  Gutterboy on Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:09 am

I agree, i was very happy and had a permagrin after receiving my axles from Rob when he shipped him to my hotel in chicago on a work trip.

Top notch work/product!
Trans mount is a beauty addition too.

Gutterboy

Back to top Go down

Post  Techno Duck on Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:06 pm

Just about finished! I am happy to report user Thom on here has been finishing up all the little things on the car, so its in great hands. Alignment is complete and the brake bias valve was relocated onto the console. Forgot to radius the joints on the Borgenson u-joints for the steering shaft, so that was finished up yesterday. At my request, Thom is cleaning up the wiring for the standalone engine harness and cleaning up all the rust spots on my battery tray which ive been meaning to do for the past few years but never got around too Smile.

Thom also extended the push rod on the clutch master about .25" by welding on a spacer and threaded rod . I felt the action of it today and it feels perfect now! He has put a few miles on the car around the block and said it feels essentially the same as Milkman's LS3 powered car which he built. He also said the hydroboost brakes felt great, which was a relief because i had my doubts considering how many cobbled together parts it required!

Started the car up in the shop today... i was surprised how smoothly it idled considering how solid the mounts looked from TPC.

Should be able to pick the car up end of next week when i get back from some much needed vacation. Really looking forward to driving it!

Techno Duck

Back to top Go down

Post  Lemming on Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:18 pm

Congrats on getting it done!
Lemming

Back to top Go down

Post  RS Technic on Sun Jan 26, 2014 12:24 pm

Wow.
Looks great.
RS Technic

Back to top Go down

Post  Techno Duck on Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:36 pm

Brought her home today! Put about 9 miles on it today and put gas in it for the first time in close to 2 years.

First impressions are its awesome Smile. Car feels great for having just rolled out of the shop. Hydroboost brakes feel great also.. i was quite surprised the pedal felt exactly the same as normal! The only complaints are its so cold out the transmission really requires some muscle to get into gear which has always been a problem. Car needs to be tuned also, idles around 1100 rpm and the RPM's hang a little before dropping down. I want to get about 5-600 miles on her before to break in the clutch and shake it down before hand.

Thankfully its going to warm up a bit this weekend so i hope to get some miles on her. Going to spend the day tomorrow cleaning up some of my old wiring under the dash and around the engine bay. Also have the 914 headlight motor to hookup.

Techno Duck

Back to top Go down

Post  Techno Duck on Sat Feb 01, 2014 6:24 pm

Spent friday cleaning up the wiring under the dash so everything interior wise is all done.

I put about 50 miles on the car last night and it ran well. I think the difficult shifting is a result of the clutch not disengaging all the way. I am going to play around with the adjustment on the pushrod a little to see if i can get a little more throw out of it. Also going to bleed it again. I need to get the rear end up on ramps and pop the rubber inspection cover off the torque tube. Going to have someone engage and disengage the clutch with the car in neutral to see if the torque tube stops spinning. The shop that installed the engine measured as per the Spec diagram and said it did not need the shim, but i think there are only so many reasons for the difficult shifting. I am mentally preparing myself for dropping the trans, sliding back the torque tube...etc . The other option i am thinking is putting in the next bore size up master cylinder... currently using .7" bore, i can move up to the .75" bore which displaced .61cu/in vs .53cu/in.

The first major issue popped up also when i got home. The oil lines between the oil cooler and thermostat started leaking last night at some point during the drive. Tightened all the fittings this morning, but after test running it a few minutes the leak is coming from the hose not the fitting Sad. Ive been wanting to replace all the oil hoses anyhow, the shop used nylon braided while i would prefer all stainless braid. So the car is down until i can get new hoses made up on monday.

Pretty bummed because this weekend its in the mid 40's. I have a few more odds and ends to take care of tomorrow so time right now is not a total loss.

Steering still has a slight hitch in it also, i am thinking the u-joints need some more grinding.

So just these relatively easy to address (well except the shim of course!) issues to deal with. Hope to get the oil lines sorted so i can put a few more miles on her next weekend. Heading back offshore next week, the first weekend i get back is the season opener auto-x i am dying to make. So i am kinda pressed for time trying to get miles on her so i can work out the issues.

The bottom hose is the worst offender from the right most fitting.

Oil pooled on the filter housing. Pulled this off today and retaped the pressure sender and adapter. Seems to have worked.

Techno Duck

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:18 pm

Glad to see that you have your car running and driving. Just so you'll know , the oil lines are just nylon covered over steel hose just like the SS type , just not as pretty! Probably a fitting issue. That's why I have started using only crimp style hoses. I also use a hydraulic use locktite sealer on the fittings. Almost guaranties no leaks.....
No need to jack up the car and look at the TB movement, If you're using the factory clutch master cylinder, you are not getting enough fluid movement , you will need to change it to a Wilwood master cylinder. They seem to be the only thing that will make the SPEC clutches move correctly.

Admin
Admin
Admin

http://www.TexasPerformanceConcepts.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Techno Duck on Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:29 pm

Admin, already using a Wilwood master cylinder. Hoping i can adjust the pushrod a little to get a little more throw out of it. Going to mess around with it tomorrow.

Techno Duck

Back to top Go down

Post  948inVA on Sun Feb 02, 2014 7:53 am

What kind of setup are you running for the clutch hydraulics? I seem to remember that most were suggesting the 13/16" or 7/8" master. I went with the 13/16" and still had to adjust it until it was almost bottoming out to get proper disengagement. Keep an eye on your fluid as well, the design of the LS1 clutch can allow clutch dust to enter the fluid and turn it grey. I'm having to flush mine out every few months to get the proper pedal feel back.
948inVA

Back to top Go down

Post  Techno Duck on Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:06 am

Wilwood 260-6088 (.7" bore) is on the car right now.

260-6089 (.75" bore) is what i may try if no luck with push rod adjustment.

Talked to my friend who worked on the car last week, the clutch has been bled multiple times so i dont think this is the issue.

Techno Duck

Back to top Go down

Post  Techno Duck on Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:14 pm

Unfortunately a no go with the master cylinder adjustment. Had it adjusted all the way out and still not enough. Went a little too far and popped the clevis off the push rod, that was 20 minute spent getting it back on Smile. I ordered the 260-6089 (one size up) and 260-11972 (two sizes up) Wilwood master cylinders. Just hoping that its indeed not enough fluid movement causing this.

Supes got my thinking going last night, after a little bit of looking through old threads it looks like the 260-10373 (13/16" bore, .58 cu in displacement) and the 260-10374 (7/8" bore, .67 cu in displacement) are the two popular choices. So i hope the 6089 does it for me; see the specs below.

I am using 6088 (.7" bore) which moves .53 cu in of fluid.

The 6089 (3/4" bore) moves about 14% more fluid.

The 11972 (7/8" bore) moves about 27% more fluid.

Fingers crossed this works! Thankfully swapping them out can be done without having to get under the car.

Will have the new masters mid week, will report back how this goes this weekend.

In the mean time, going to fix the oil lines tomorrow... its a snow day today, going to work on getting the 914 headlight motor hooked up.

Techno Duck

Back to top Go down

Post  Geoff Daniels on Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:40 pm

Do these masters bolt up in place of the factory master or are you using some sort of adapter plate? Just got my car running and it seems ok with the factory unit but I have not had it out for a drive yet. Couple more weeks before it is ready for a road test.

Geoff Daniels

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 15 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 10 ... 15  Next