944Hybrids: 924/944/968 and 928 V8 Conversions
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
HOW TO DO AN ADVANCED SEARCH.

Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:56 pm by Admin

For the benefit of 944Hybrids users there are two search functions available for you to use.
The purpose of this sticky is to explain the "Advanced Search" function because it is much more powerful and is the best choice when researching information.

When you log on to the site a list of options is shown in a line at the top of the page. One option is labelled "Search", use this option (NOT the search box lower down on the right).

After you click on the upper search option, a drop down box appears. At the bottom of this box is a radio button marked "Advanced …

Comments: 0

Latest topics
» NDog52's 1986 NA 5.3 Build - A Summary
Shopping for a donor and engine EmptyToday at 11:30 am by Gutterboy

» Honda k24 swap
Shopping for a donor and engine EmptyYesterday at 6:12 am by Colibri Green

» power steering pump
Shopping for a donor and engine EmptyTue Mar 26, 2024 3:29 pm by Blaizefed

» FRESH BUILD - after a few miles became hard to get into gear
Shopping for a donor and engine EmptyTue Mar 26, 2024 1:30 pm by Raymond-P

» VATS Bypass/Delete
Shopping for a donor and engine EmptyTue Mar 26, 2024 8:49 am by 948

» Ray's 1987 944 LS1 Build & Swap
Shopping for a donor and engine EmptyWed Mar 20, 2024 11:52 pm by Raymond-P

» Purpose of the speed sensor with a stock ECU
Shopping for a donor and engine EmptyWed Mar 20, 2024 1:17 pm by Rob44

» FS: Porsche 928 968 944 S2 951 Turbo FRONT BREMBO CALIPERS
Shopping for a donor and engine EmptyTue Mar 12, 2024 3:22 pm by dcoutofstep

» 944 S2/Turbo J LTD Edition Front Lip Spoiler - Brand New never fitted
Shopping for a donor and engine EmptyTue Mar 12, 2024 2:10 pm by dcoutofstep

» Adding Purge Solenoid Wiring to Standalone Harness
Shopping for a donor and engine EmptyTue Mar 12, 2024 12:12 pm by ndog52

March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

I forgot my password

Shopping for a donor and engine

5 posters

Go down

Shopping for a donor and engine Empty Shopping for a donor and engine

Post  nasomi Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:42 pm

Hey all, I'm currently shopping for a donor 944, I have 4 on my radar with blown engines. I'm not making a track car, just something to have fun with and kill a few hundred hours in the garage. I can pick up a donor for around $600, but I'm having a hard time finding which engine I need. I'm using ebay and local craigslist to try and source an engine, it seems like the front half of the donor vehicle would be the easiest way to do it, but I'm finding nothing under $1600+ except one.

I have found an LS4 for about 1k with accessories and low mileage, which seems to be the best power for the buck at the moment. However I heard that the crank was shorter to compensate for fwd vehicle trans space. This is my first time working with porsche or chevy, normally I'm ford and subaru, so I really don't know much about sbc's. Aside from the engine, bell housing, and adapter plate, what else is needed? I can make my own motor mounts, do I need a custom oil pan for clearance? Some talk about a cross member, some do not. Do I need a new or modified steering rack?

I'm trying to get a complete part list so I can source and price what I need before I start. I've only found one place selling a bellhousing, for $560, and one place with an adapter plate to the torque tube. If the LS4 is shorter do I have to lengthen things or can I just move the motor back?

Thanks much for your input.

Jay

nasomi

Back to top Go down

Shopping for a donor and engine Empty Re: Shopping for a donor and engine

Post  Arthropraxis Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:48 pm

Search around on this site, use the advanced google search for better results, and read the Wiki at the top of the page. Almost everything you wanted to know is in there or can get you started. If you need parts go to Texas Performance Concepts and a member by the name of Xschop. They can get you just about anything you can't purchase or fabricate yourself. You will need a modified oil pan, you don't need any other steering rack than comes with the Porsche donor. Welcome to the board.
Arthropraxis
Arthropraxis

Back to top Go down

Post  xschop Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:56 pm

Do NOT get the LS4 unless you plan on installing a hand-crank. There is no provison for the starter and no Bellhousing adapter available. (GM 60 degree).... I'll post one of my basic V-8 install kits for sale this weekend. It allows the SBC/LT1/LS engines to install without cutting the hood and uses a C5 Bellhousing adapter and comes with a modified Wilwood Clutch MC....all 100% bolt-on.
xschop
xschop

Back to top Go down

Post  nasomi Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:16 pm

Thanks for the heads up, I figured the LS4 was going to be different in some way. I'm having a hell of a time finding a motor. The problem is, I don't know what vehicles to find these motors in, and search terms for ls1 yield few results with high prices because sellers know if you're looking for that motor, you want to go fast, and assume you have a big budget. Searching for LT1 yields nothing... I'm on a budget, so a $600 roller, a $500-600 motor, up to 1k for something more exotic, c5 bell housing, and adapter plate, some sort of clutch, some way to make the computer work, motor mounts, I'm not sure what else I need. If I could find some pictures of hte underside of a done car, then I could at least see what parts are there, but these internets seem to be getting the best of me it seems.

I have tried the wiki, I can't figure out how to navigate it. I've tried the search, but can't even find my own thread with it. I don't know what I"m doing wrong here.

nasomi

Back to top Go down

Post  xschop Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:25 pm

If your state doesn't incarcerate you for installing a 4.8/5.3/6.0 Truck motor, then those can be had for a dime. I stuck in a 5.3L using the LS1 intake to get it under the hood....

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
xschop
xschop

Back to top Go down

Post  nasomi Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:40 pm

I can put a truck motor in there, but if it's not a ford I don't know anything about it... I'm assuming each has it's own procedure. So an 03 suburban's v8 would work? They came with 3 engine options. But wouldn't you end up with a 4500-5000rpm redline like that?

nasomi

Back to top Go down

Post  xschop Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:44 pm

I quite often hit 6500....in the parking garage Razz

Seriously, they are just Iron-block vette engines.
xschop
xschop

Back to top Go down

Post  948inVA Fri Feb 10, 2012 5:47 pm

I am just starting my swap as well... I went with a 04 GTO motor, these seem to be easy to find with low miles. The F-body motors go for about the same price but usually with higher mileage, and they're older. I did a lot of research on which engine to go with, and I don't think you will save much by going with the truck motor. Here is my parts list so far:

GTO engine w/ harness and pcm - 2900
TPC basic conversion kit - 1600
TPC headers - 1100
2pc bell housing - 225
VSS kit - 150
PCM reflash - 75
Fuse block parts - 50
Rebuilt Hydroboost + lines - 300-400
13/16 Clutch Master - 80
remote bleeder - 50
Fuel filter and lines - 100-250
Throttle cable - 50
O2 sensors - 100
Oil cooler and PS lines - ??

Probably leaving out a few things there, but you get the idea... around $7k. And this is a pretty basic conversion. I could spend a lot more on engine and cooling upgrades but I figure I will get to that stuff later on.

948inVA
948inVA

Back to top Go down

Shopping for a donor and engine Empty Costs

Post  fliermike45 Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:09 pm

If it helps I have over 12k in my swap, 2300 for a C5 LS1, turbo trans, rebuilt Torque Tube, TT adapter plate, uprated drive shafts, rebuilt struts/springs, Xschops big brake upgrade front and rear, short shifter, strut brace, harness modifications, PS Pump, belts, hoses, brake master cylinder, flywheel, clutch, bell housing, RH Headers, Griffin Radiator, VSS kit, starter, alternator, compressor, F body accessory mounts, uprated fuel pump, track rod ends, new A arm ball joints, remote filter and lines, HTOB and lines, etc, etc. NA 5th gear swap and strengthener plate/case machining.

This did not include the front end body mods and headlight upgrade.

Last edited by fliermike45 on Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:11 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : 5th gear swap)

fliermike45

Back to top Go down

Post  Arthropraxis Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:08 pm

To use the google search. Click search at the top of the page. Click advanced search. Enter in the key words then click the Google icon to the right. Play around on the Wiki, you will figure it out.
Arthropraxis
Arthropraxis

Back to top Go down