HOW TO DO AN ADVANCED SEARCH.

Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:56 pm by Admin

For the benefit of 944Hybrids users there are two search functions available for you to use.
The purpose of this sticky is to explain the "Advanced Search" function because it is much more powerful and is the best choice when researching information.

When you log on to the site a list of options is shown in a line at the top of the page. One option is labelled "Search", use this option (NOT the search box lower down on the right).

After you click on the upper search option, a drop down box appears. At the bottom of this box is a radio button marked "Advanced …

Comments: 0

Latest topics
» WRL Race car for sale - '87 924S with LS swap
Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:29 am by cscowden

» New convert under way
Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:39 pm by kevin924kevin

»  A/C questions
Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:08 pm by Arthropraxis

» Corvette C6 Z06 Brake Caliper Adapters
Sat Sep 16, 2017 6:08 pm by superman22x

» Cayenne Front and Rear Brakes on 944
Sat Sep 16, 2017 6:00 pm by superman22x

» Parting out 944 Turbo with LS1
Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:14 am by rfreundt

» 944 LS1 race car part out
Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:00 am by rfreundt

» Steering shaft short
Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:11 pm by racertomtom

» Steering rack clearance
Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:32 pm by Hotrodz of Dallas

» What Intake Elbow to Use ?
Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:30 pm by remaxagent33

September 2017
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

I forgot my password

Can see the light... Kinda

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Can see the light... Kinda

Post  luginbuhlj on Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:02 pm

Hello guys, my names Jake and I just started the v8 conversion on my 87 N/A. Picked it up for $1,800 a few miles down the road from where I live in Wisconsin and surprisingly enough there is minimal rust limited to the lower rear quarters. I've got a gen I iron block sbc I picked up for $500 that is hovering around the 400hp mark all built up for more but from what I hear the stock tranny cant take much more than that. tongue

So here is where I'm at, the 2.5 n/a engine with 160k miles is out and sealed up waiting for a buyer. due to the head being so clean I suspect it had been rebuilt at some point in its life. What would be a fair price to ask for the engine?

Ill post pictures on here eventually as I progress with my build. Looking through some of the threads I am amazed by the craftsmanship put into these cars and it motivates me to take the time as well and do it right the first time so I thank you all for that.

Cheers, Jake

Last edited by luginbuhlj on Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:45 am; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : Updated work done)
luginbuhlj

Back to top Go down

Re: Can see the light... Kinda

Post  acorad on Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:18 pm

Hi Jake, welcome! No idea what your old engine is worth, but do keep us posted on the build. And take pics!
acorad

Back to top Go down

Some of the progress

Post  luginbuhlj on Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:13 pm

Here are a few photos of where I have gotten in the last two weekends and some of the progress I have made with cleaning up the engine bay.

Took me a while to get the fenders and header panel off due to BEING GLUED lol drove me up the wall..

There will be no p/s or a/c in this car, so I cut out the plate under the left headlight and will make matching ducts to channel more air into the engine bay.

Picked up a E30 for $1300 last weekend too.. Couldn't pass up the deal. Rebuilt motor all it needs is paint. Came with NEW PAINTED hood, NEW fenders, NEW front spoiler, AND NEW DOORS in their boxes from the manufacturer!

This is where I left off last week, my plan of attack this weekend is
1: Removing all the unnecessary stock harness wires
2: Remove the stock brake booster and then sandblast the engine bay
3: put the cross member back in place and take some measurements!!

Last edited by luginbuhlj on Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:07 am; edited 1 time in total
luginbuhlj

Back to top Go down

Post  luginbuhlj on Sat Nov 12, 2011 12:23 am

Took some measurements for the crossmember spacers and frame connecter.. getting materials in the morning, hope to finish before lunch and get the engine bay prepped for paint.

Question for more qualified individuals than I.. When lowering the crossmember 3/4" the A-arms will have less of an angle therefore widening out my stance? So there is a need for thinner wheel spacers than usual due to this modification..

Second question, would 3/8" plate steel be strong enough for the bracket on the connecter plate? and 1" steel pipe?

Thanks, Jake

Pounded out some of the depressions to get smooth wheel wells then dove straight into some bondo work..

Last edited by luginbuhlj on Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:09 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : added photos)
luginbuhlj

Back to top Go down

Post  Arthropraxis on Sat Nov 12, 2011 6:53 am

Sounds like you have done this before. There is a good discussion one here somewhere about the upright tubing, I think that is what you are asking about. You could find it with a search. If you haven't already figured it out, when searching do an advanced search then click the Google search button next to the text line you type in, for better results.
Arthropraxis

Back to top Go down

Post  luginbuhlj on Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:29 am

Arthropraxis wrote:Sounds like you have done this before.

Thanks, this is my first project on my own but my father has owned an auto restoration shop his whole life so there must've been a few tricks picked up along the way ha..

luginbuhlj

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Sat Nov 12, 2011 1:40 pm

You do know that most of the dimensions are already posted on the forum?

Admin
Admin
Admin

http://www.TexasPerformanceConcepts.com

Back to top Go down

Post  luginbuhlj on Sat Nov 12, 2011 4:58 pm

Thanks I found it but ended up doing it differently and am utilizing it as the bumper mount too

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

That's all the farther I've gotten today..

Last edited by luginbuhlj on Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:10 am; edited 1 time in total
luginbuhlj

Back to top Go down

Got distracted half the weekend!

Post  luginbuhlj on Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:59 am

Hey guys made a little headway this weekend I got the engine bay painted and began sanding the body. Ordered authentic skyline gtr purple the other day too so I'm very excited to get the car prepped.

Got the cross-member drilled out for Eric's motor mounts as well.

What makes/models have slimmer brake booster set ups that you guys have used? I'm dumbfounded here I was measuring a intnl scouts that I've got laying around but dont want to cut it up
luginbuhlj

Back to top Go down

Post  laptop_geek on Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:13 am

Most guys are just running manual brakes or put in a hydro-boost. Check out the "Brakes" section and the gallery to see what everyone else is doing.
laptop_geek

Back to top Go down

Paint arrived, still some body work left..

Post  luginbuhlj on Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:01 am

Hey guys, been working 50hr weeks so I've lacked time to work on my car. Sad But between my father and I, we've made a pretty good dent in the body prep.. And as far as the engine going in goes, I'm at that stage where my wallet is going to be getting lighter lol.

Keep trucking along, the end result is worth the hard work!

P.S. the paint is Nissan Syline GTR midnight purple so its black dam near 3/4 of the day and dark purple only in intense sunlight. Our body shop has never used such paint before so hopefully it turns out. Cool
luginbuhlj

Back to top Go down

like a kid on xmas!

Post  luginbuhlj on Sun Dec 04, 2011 12:40 pm

Just bought a ls1 with 80k miles without a harness for $400. The guy just took it out to put the lq4 in his c5 but to be cautious I'm going to have it rebuilt by a reputable shop. And a buddy with an electrical engineering degree wireme up a harness Very Happy

Last edited by luginbuhlj on Sun Dec 04, 2011 4:07 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : misspelled word)
luginbuhlj

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Sun Dec 04, 2011 6:26 pm

Make sure whoever rebuilds your motor installs new lifters and does not use the old ones no matter what they say. Insist on new ones. 100k on factory lifters is about the limit before they start ticking. A lot of shops reuse them do to the the cost of new ones.
Hopefully your "electrical engineer" is not like three I know, or your going to be in a world of hurt! Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  luginbuhlj on Mon Dec 05, 2011 3:34 pm

Hopefully your "electrical engineer" is not like three I know, or your going to be in a world of hurt! Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing [/quote]

I hope so too, lol but I've seen his work and the ls1 he put in his 240sx still runs with no known issues to date.

*****Going carbed with the LS1***** more hp+less work+less money

What a Face [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Last edited by luginbuhlj on Sat Dec 10, 2011 7:26 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : added info.)
luginbuhlj

Back to top Go down

Schools done! 5 weeks for working on the car

Post  luginbuhlj on Fri Dec 23, 2011 3:54 pm

School just got out for the semester got a nice long break to be spending on the car. While my engines at the machine shop for the next month I plan on getting all the body work done. Were going to fabricate side pipes much like that of the Roush Mustangs. Idk how i'm going to mount the turbo front bumper yet but im sure it wont be too difficult to make some sort of brackets
luginbuhlj

Back to top Go down

Post  expuppy on Fri Dec 23, 2011 6:09 pm

While you have the nose off, you may tinker with an adjustable splitter?

expuppy

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Fri Dec 23, 2011 7:14 pm

Don't forget the plastic plunger thing that goes in the hole to the left of the crank. It controls the oil flow. Forget it and you'll have no oil pressure.

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  luginbuhlj on Fri Dec 23, 2011 8:11 pm

By an adjustable spliter do you mean something like an air duct to channel air into the engine/radiator? or just one to be attached to the front bumper. I like the idea of having one even for the look. Eric, I took a look at the engine but I don't have very much knowledge about engines so I hope the machine shop does it lol it will be turn key when I pick it up.. Smile [My xmas present]

My curiosity got the best of me the other week so I tore the engine all the way down to the block to learn somewhat how it all goes together. I bought it with the the knowledge that cylinder 7 had an issue so I had my fingers crossed it wasn't anything major. The piston, it hit the intake valve.. Quoted $60 to fix and I just got all new valves to be safe.

My friend gave me his LS2 cam so it should liven it up a bit from what I read.

Overall the entire engine was very clean and all my friends with Camaro's are jealous that I came out so well with this find. They were certain it would be a pile of junk.

Last edited by luginbuhlj on Fri Dec 23, 2011 8:16 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : pics don't work)
luginbuhlj

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Sun Dec 25, 2011 10:20 am

Don't use the stock springs if they are the ones that were on the heads when you got them. If you have a valve that hit the piston , that means that it floated do to high rpm's. Not a good thing. also the stock springs will go bad pretty quick with any cam bigger than a stock lift.

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  expuppy on Sun Dec 25, 2011 12:47 pm

An adjustable splitter would allow you to have a long horizontal surface a fraction of an inch off the track. This will give you a lot of front downforce, which i am finding is handy in higher speed corners as these cars tend to understeer a bit anyway. Check out some of the cars at [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] since they have splitters that are low for the track and then recess up for transit on the roads where the surface is not smooth.

expuppy

Back to top Go down

Headed to Texas!

Post  luginbuhlj on Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:45 pm

Hey guys, back from almost a month of a terrible infection that's been keeping me out of the shop. I leave for Dallas, Tx. on the 12th for a wedding, gonna be there over a week. I'm bringing a big stack of cash to hopefully find some good parts to send home!

As far as work completed on the engine I have only found a new set of pistons, lifters, and rockers. The shop is too busy and won't be able to get to my engine for a while so here I am just acquiring better parts for it in the mean time. Still need a valley cover and a bellhousing though. Smile

luginbuhlj

Back to top Go down

Back in business

Post  luginbuhlj on Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:42 am

packing for atlanta, got an entire turbo s front end swap and one of them hand laid fiberglass vented header panels that lindsey racing made all for $350. going to see the supercross races at the georgia dome saturday night to make a trip out of it. The guy does have the AOR turbo S trans but im not paying $1500 for it. ill wait for a better deal.. other than that the cars coming along nicely. Have most of the body work done and will have it back together less the drive train in the coming weeks. Very Happy
luginbuhlj

Back to top Go down

Post  docwyte on Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:14 pm

$1500 for an AOR is a good deal. Not easy to find one for less than that...

docwyte

Back to top Go down

Already set the front end together

Post  luginbuhlj on Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:43 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
luginbuhlj

Back to top Go down

414 cubic inch carbed ls1 swap with muncie 4 speed and c4 rear axle assembly

Post  luginbuhlj on Sat Jun 23, 2012 8:34 pm

Been busy in the shop these past few weeks.. My 87 n/a has gotten a work out.. gutted, rust repaired, caged turbo front end swap, corvette c4 rear axle assembly, muncie rock crusher 4 speed, 414 cubic inch stroked ls1 14:1 compression running E85 oh and carbed..

[img][You must be registered and logged in to see this image.][/img]

[img]
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.][/img]

luginbuhlj

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top