944Hybrids: 924/944/968 and 928 V8 Conversions
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
HOW TO DO AN ADVANCED SEARCH.

Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:56 pm by Admin

For the benefit of 944Hybrids users there are two search functions available for you to use.
The purpose of this sticky is to explain the "Advanced Search" function because it is much more powerful and is the best choice when researching information.

When you log on to the site a list of options is shown in a line at the top of the page. One option is labelled "Search", use this option (NOT the search box lower down on the right).

After you click on the upper search option, a drop down box appears. At the bottom of this box is a radio button marked "Advanced …

Comments: 0

Latest topics
» Honda k24 swap
Starting to gather parts.. EmptyYesterday at 6:12 am by Colibri Green

» NDog52's 1986 NA 5.3 Build
Starting to gather parts.. EmptyTue Mar 26, 2024 6:28 pm by Raymond-P

» power steering pump
Starting to gather parts.. EmptyTue Mar 26, 2024 3:29 pm by Blaizefed

» FRESH BUILD - after a few miles became hard to get into gear
Starting to gather parts.. EmptyTue Mar 26, 2024 1:30 pm by Raymond-P

» VATS Bypass/Delete
Starting to gather parts.. EmptyTue Mar 26, 2024 8:49 am by 948

» Ray's 1987 944 LS1 Build & Swap
Starting to gather parts.. EmptyWed Mar 20, 2024 11:52 pm by Raymond-P

» Purpose of the speed sensor with a stock ECU
Starting to gather parts.. EmptyWed Mar 20, 2024 1:17 pm by Rob44

» FS: Porsche 928 968 944 S2 951 Turbo FRONT BREMBO CALIPERS
Starting to gather parts.. EmptyTue Mar 12, 2024 3:22 pm by dcoutofstep

» 944 S2/Turbo J LTD Edition Front Lip Spoiler - Brand New never fitted
Starting to gather parts.. EmptyTue Mar 12, 2024 2:10 pm by dcoutofstep

» Adding Purge Solenoid Wiring to Standalone Harness
Starting to gather parts.. EmptyTue Mar 12, 2024 12:12 pm by ndog52

March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

I forgot my password

Starting to gather parts..

+3
Arthropraxis
Schuepbach
Fieroracer87
7 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Starting to gather parts.. Empty Starting to gather parts..

Post  Fieroracer87 Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:44 pm

been trying to get more info on the parts I'm sourcing. Found a used 4.8 out of a 2000 silverado that I plan to pick up for $500 this week. I also found an ECM from a Tahoe with the same engine and model year. I've only found info regarding using ls1 ECM and was wondering am I going to have to try and find another ECM or will this one work..I heard that they could all run these engines,just figured I would be better off base tune wise. If anyone has pin out info to that would be great

Fieroracer87

Back to top Go down

Starting to gather parts.. Empty Re: Starting to gather parts..

Post  Schuepbach Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:08 pm

what about spending a little extra on the 5.3 motor? The 4.8 really isnt all that great from what I hear.

Schuepbach

Back to top Go down

Post  Fieroracer87 Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:25 pm

I was originally going to go that route. Couldn't find a good one with fair mileage for a decent price in my area. Not really to worried about the power output 270 is fine for me. Plan to use the car as a commuter. Just didn't want to get rid of the car. I can always switch out for the bigger motor down the line

Fieroracer87

Back to top Go down

Post  Arthropraxis Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:03 pm

If you need an ECM make sure to get the right one. There are two different harnesses one with green and blue connectors and another with red and blue connectors. They are not interchangeable. FWIW, I have a red and blue connector ECM in the for sale section that is already programmed for this conversion. Now, ask me how I know the ECM's are not interchangeable.
Arthropraxis
Arthropraxis

Back to top Go down

Post  Fieroracer87 Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:17 pm

Arthropraxis wrote:If you need an ECM make sure to get the right one. There are two different harnesses one with green and blue connectors and another with red and blue connectors. They are not interchangeable. FWIW, I have a red and blue connector ECM in the for sale section that is already programmed for this conversion. Now, ask me how I know the ECM's are not interchangeable.
I have the part number for the ECM I ordered if anyone can tell me if it's good from this that would help since I'll probably have it tomorrow. P# 9354896. Still trying to source a harness.

Fieroracer87

Back to top Go down

Post  Arthropraxis Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:29 pm

That ECM will work. When you get it it will have the connectors labeled red/blue or green/blue. You will then need to get the correct harness.
Arthropraxis
Arthropraxis

Back to top Go down

Post  Fieroracer87 Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:53 pm

Yeah I started to get nervous when you said there were two different harnesses. Did some digging with google and found the ECM with the blue and green harness ( 2004 gto drive by wire ECM I believe it was). Shock soon went away. Thanks for pointing that out.

Fieroracer87

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:15 pm

Now for another shocker. You will need The matching gas pedal and probably have to change the injector plugs as well. You know that you are going the expensive route on the conversion? Buying individual pieces is going to nickle and dime you to death! Shocked

Admin
Admin
Admin

http://www.TexasPerformanceConcepts.com

Back to top Go down

Post  xschop Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:34 pm

Go to performancetrucks.net and get a harness and ecm. I scored my original harness for $75 and an ECM from a 2003 Silverado for $30 on ebay.....And send them to Eric. The 4.8 is a great motor and will rev high and get good mpg's
xschop
xschop

Back to top Go down

Post  Fieroracer87 Wed Oct 05, 2011 5:21 am

Admin wrote:Now for another shocker. You will need The matching gas pedal and probably have to change the injector plugs as well. You know that you are going the expensive route on the conversion? Buying individual pieces is going to nickle and dime you to death! Shocked
I didn't buy the drive by wire ecm. Just saying I saw the blue and green connector one he mentioned and it had a footnote on the page about drive by wire....I'm going good old fashioned cable throttle. My vw is drive by wire and I hate it. Gonna look at that site to see if I can find a harness...

Fieroracer87

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:10 am

Make sure which ever harness you get is pined for the cable TB. Not all Blue Green ECU will support a cable TB. Only a very few will. And just cause the harness is wired right doesn't mean the ECU has the driver on the board for your TB

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Fieroracer87 Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:48 am

Admin wrote:Make sure which ever harness you get is pined for the cable TB. Not all Blue Green ECU will support a cable TB. Only a very few will. And just cause the harness is wired right doesn't mean the ECU has the driver on the board for your TB
the ecu is from a 2000 tahoe without DBW(Red and Blue on case). i kept hearing about bad experiences with the DBW. planning on running a modified hood since i plan on running original manifold and injectors to cut down on other stuff to source. the reason im going this route(buying peice by piece) is because im getting married in april and every week its something and i rather just get stuff when i can as opposed to getting it bundled and then needed money that if i would of just bought a piece and stocked it i would of had....its easier on the ears

Fieroracer87

Back to top Go down

Post  Fieroracer87 Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:38 pm

ok went today and bought the engine and its being shipped to my job. just have to haul it back to my house. quick question. has anyone tried to use the autokraft ls oil pan with any success or has the majority stuck to the modified moroso pan? gonna be searching for a little while to see if i can come up with the f body accessory part numbers for the mounts i have to use for the alternator. probably gonna run with powersteering for awhile and eventually buy the turn one fbody setup....looks sweek Cool

Fieroracer87

Back to top Go down

Starting to gather parts.. Empty Info

Post  fliermike45 Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:50 pm

Info that may help.

My engine came out of a C5 Vette and had a electric TB, the guys who did my harness and computer suggested I get rid of the electric TB and switch to a cable. They reprogrammed the computer for the cable.

Other error was the MAF, the one I obtained was a three wire, my harness required a five wire version that has the temp sensor built in.

fliermike45

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:23 pm

DBW are easy as cake if you get the matching parts!
My oil pan that I sell fits no mods needed. Or you can buy the Moroso and have it moded and hope it works when your done.

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Fieroracer87 Thu Oct 06, 2011 6:45 am

Admin wrote:My oil pan that I sell fits no mods needed. Or you can buy the Moroso and have it moded and hope it works when your done.
yeah im probably gonna go that route. just comparing measurements...looked close so i had to ask.

Fieroracer87

Back to top Go down

Post  Arthropraxis Thu Oct 06, 2011 6:54 am

I have a modded Moroso, it fits great. The pickup tube has to have a welded extension in it to fit the pan. I had to get the pan rewelded because it came with a leak in the modified portion from the vendor I bought it from. It would have been cheaper and less painful to just get one from Admin. I know he stands behind his products and they are high quality well desiged pieces.
Arthropraxis
Arthropraxis

Back to top Go down

Post  xschop Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:29 am

Most important is TPC's oilpan will give you that critical extra 1/4"- 3/8" clearance that is needed if you install the power steering rack.
xschop
xschop

Back to top Go down

Post  Fieroracer87 Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:28 am

bought a harness last night after i got off of work. should be shipped out sometime today. engine didn't get delivered yesterday. they didn't realize that the shop i work in doesn't close until 11:30pm so they turned around . should be here around noon today. next things on my list to order next month are mounts, clutch disk and quicktime BH. found a flywheel with complete clutch pack from a vette that i can use the pressure plate from for $150. i still gotta go over to pelican to sell the stock engine and other parts i bought when i was keeping the 2.5, get back some money from that and keep it moving..so eric should be hearing from me pretty soon Wink

Question?
does anyone have the part numbers for the alternator brackets and ps brackets im gonna need from the f-body. i know i had them but i lost my binder that i was writing down everything i came across in.

Fieroracer87

Back to top Go down

Post  Fieroracer87 Thu Oct 13, 2011 2:40 pm

Got my engine and my harness. Decided I'm gonna definitely run the stock intake with a cowl hood for the time being. Wanna just get it and run it....plus the faster I can piece this together the better a chance I have to pick up this old wide fender mini cooper I pass every day that is begging for attention. So what is the best way for me to attack this harness job?should I just open and de-pin the stuff that I dont need or should I open the loom, hook up everything sensor wise and track what doesn't have a direct run to one...all advice is highly welcomed!

Fieroracer87

Back to top Go down

Post  spence Thu Oct 13, 2011 3:38 pm

Here, go thru these pictures. They should give you a good idea on what needs to be done. I ripped all the electrical tape off the harness and went thru it wire by wire, labeled everything and taped it back up.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
spence
spence

Back to top Go down

Starting to gather parts.. Empty next big question?

Post  Fieroracer87 Sat Oct 15, 2011 12:06 pm

anyone from the new jersey area that has done the swap and knows what im gonna need to make this thing pass emissions testing in this state. that would be a big help.

Fieroracer87

Back to top Go down

Post  Fieroracer87 Sun Oct 23, 2011 10:35 am

Finally got a chance to de-pin my whole harness. Probably gonna run both post o2's for emissions reasons since I want this thing street legal. My neighbor offered me an ls1 intake with rails and 30lbs injectors for $200 so I'll probably be picking that up soon too. Just waiting right now...probably be changing positions at work so more money to work on this thing. Anyone know the easiest way to retain the evaporative emissions end of this swap deal?

Fieroracer87

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun Oct 23, 2011 11:08 am

First off why did you de pin your whole harness?
That seems to be a huge time consumer and it's not needed.....especially if your running emissions..
You can hook the evap valve to the existing Porsche charcoal canister in the driver side fender well.
Did you ever find the f body brackets? If not I sell them in billet aluminum.

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Fieroracer87 Sun Oct 23, 2011 11:22 am

Idk why either...guess you can say I'm OCD on a few things. I haven't gotten the brackets yet so that's good to know. Is there a part number for the valve that I need to purchase to attach to the stock canister?

Fieroracer87

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next