HOW TO DO AN ADVANCED SEARCH.

Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:56 pm by Admin

For the benefit of 944Hybrids users there are two search functions available for you to use.
The purpose of this sticky is to explain the "Advanced Search" function because it is much more powerful and is the best choice when researching information.

When you log on to the site a list of options is shown in a line at the top of the page. One option is labelled "Search", use this option (NOT the search box lower down on the right).

After you click on the upper search option, a drop down box appears. At the bottom of this box is a radio button marked "Advanced …

Comments: 0

Latest topics
» 1987 944 Turbo --> LS
Today at 9:28 am by Hotrodz of Dallas

» Standalone Fuel Pump Relay. What to do with DME?
Yesterday at 1:14 pm by sharkey

» Rebuilt engine threw three rods
Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:08 pm by Rich L.

» What Intake Elbow to Use ?
Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:53 pm by Rich L.

» Anyone done an LS4?
Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:30 pm by sharkey

» Selling my 1986 Porsche 951 LS1 :(
Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:09 am by Luke714

» Where are all the action shots
Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:02 pm by Red944ls1

» majormojo's LY6 swap
Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:09 pm by chrenan

» MSD Distributor Hookup
Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:09 pm by mred2nice

» V8 Conversion Parts
Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:44 am by jshprd

November 2017
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

I forgot my password

Rich's LS powered 944 track car

Page 4 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Rich's LS powered 944 track car

Post  Rich L. on Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:01 pm

1" Wilwood compact master did the trick, clutch is releasing nicely. Got the wiring all finished, sleeved and tied away. So I just had to start it again tonight to test both, sounds so good.

Rich
Rich L.

Back to top Go down

Post  Rich L. on Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:19 pm

Here she is with the engine in.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Rich L.

Back to top Go down

Post  RobotMachines on Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:24 am

Good job, looks great! Very Happy

You can build a little wall between the coolant tank and the radiator, and pass the intake tube through it for cooler air. Not sure how much of a difference it'll make.
RobotMachines

Back to top Go down

Post  Rich L. on Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:40 pm

Yeah, that's what I was thinking too. The filter needs a little support anyway.

Rich
Rich L.

Back to top Go down

Post  RobotMachines on Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:47 pm

You can kind of see the one I made from some stainless sheet, slit rubber hose for protection, and some awesome yellow zip-ties to hold the rubber on. It still leaves a few square inches but at least it gives the cooler air a fighting chance.

RobotMachines

Back to top Go down

Post  944-LT1 on Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:04 pm

HeyHey!! Good Job! However, sorry to say, it wont run right until you add at least one yellow zip tie. Thats just the way it is.

Whats left?

Last edited by 944-LT1 on Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:03 pm; edited 1 time in total

944-LT1

Back to top Go down

Post  Rich L. on Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:42 pm

Hah! The yellow zip tie must be the key! I'll get one on there ASAP. Thanks for the illustration, RobotMachines, I like your wall. I'll see about doing something similar.

Left on my car is re-installing the front suspension and body panels. I have a torn ball joint boot so got the rebuild kit from Pelican. And one of my hubs is bent so have to replace that. For a header panel I have a fiberglass 924 turbo replica with vents. And I have to cut a hole in the hood for throttle body clearance as I've not used subframe spacers. My plan is to add a WRX hood scoop, facing backwards, to cover the hole and provide some venting. Between the two, I should get a good pressure drop across the oil cooler and radiator to maximize air flow and keep this baby cool.

Alignment is scheduled for Thursday and there's a test-n-tune at the local track Saturday. Hopefully I can make it! Cool

Rich
Rich L.

Back to top Go down

Post  Rich L. on Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:20 pm

It closed!!

I can't believe it! Just a little shaping of the throttle body and a few small cuts out of the support structure and the hood closes. I'm so relieved not to be carving a big old hole and sticking a scoop on the car. Not to look a gift horse in the mouth but I don't get it.

Please excuse the metal tape over the outter vents of the badge panel. Ugly I know, I'll pretty that up soon. Form follows function, right? Here are the cuts underneath. They look sloppy and wierd because I hit them with my silver paint pen.

Edit: I've done more cutting for additional clearance, new pic. After driving it a bit there was some contact with the throttle body.

Anyway, hood pins are installed. Front suspension is back on. I only have a few details to resolve and the thing is ready for action.

Rich

Last edited by Rich L. on Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Rich L.

Back to top Go down

Post  87-944S on Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:07 pm

Awesome Rich, I can't beleive you got that to close!
87-944S

Back to top Go down

Post  Rich L. on Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:28 am

Back on her feet!

Rich L.

Back to top Go down

Post  8cylinder944 on Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:06 pm

I got your PM, I just cant reply yet. thanks for letting me know btw!

Glad it's all up and running. Saturday I actually need to go up to woodinville to grab/order some parts for my 2001 audi s4 (my current project/money pit). My schedule is pretty flexible Saturday and I would love to see a 944 with a v8 running so i mgiht be able to plan around it. Do you have a set time on when you plan to be at the track? I only live 5 mintues away (maybe) so I could swing by. Hopefully the weather holds out unlike last weekend!

8cylinder944

Back to top Go down

lip

Post  DJ. on Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:10 pm

What's that front lip made out of?Im guessing its a custom piece?

DJ.

Back to top Go down

Post  Rich L. on Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:33 pm

DJ. wrote:What's that front lip made out of?Im guessing its a custom piece?

It's plastic, roughly 1/8" thick. Nice part put on by a race shop here on Seattle's eastside, Fordahl Motorsports.

Rich
Rich L.

Back to top Go down

Post  87-944S on Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:53 am

Rich, can you post a picture of yout throttle body mods? I'm still planning a trip out your way to visit friends, take a peek at your project.
87-944S

Back to top Go down

Post  Rich L. on Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:59 am

Yeah sure, but probably tomorrow. The car is at the alignment shop today. I had a little seperation anxiety when dropping her off. Wink That'd be cool if you make it out. You can also see your box of hydroboost parts still sitting on the shelf. Hah.

Rich
Rich L.

Back to top Go down

Post  Rich L. on Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:32 pm

edit

Last edited by Rich L. on Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Rich L.

Back to top Go down

Post  Rich L. on Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:31 pm

I've gone back and replaced an earlier picture of my cuts in the hood's support structure. After driving it a bit and getting it aligned there was some contact with the throttle body. Now it's cut more aggressively but still I'm getting a 1/4" gap to the skin of the hood.

Here is the grinding I did of the throttle body. Not too much but shaped it at the same angle of the hood.

Hitting the track in the morning for a test-n-tune day. I'm going to give the engine some good hard accel/decel to seat the rings, constantly varying the throttle but not giving her full throttle or high RPMs to take it easy on the clutch and let it break in. A bit of a balancing act. I hope everything holds up.

Rich
Rich L.

Back to top Go down

Post  Rich L. on Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:59 am

Shake down yesterday was mixed. I did a session paying close attention to low RPM accel and decel of the engine to seat the rings, trying to be gentle on the clutch. Then I changed the oil and filter, switching from 10w40 to 20w50 oil. Then another session, keeping the RPMs low-ish but doing more of a normal lap. Then in the 3rd session I hooked up with a buddy in his stage3 biturbo Audi and kinda let her rip. I was able to hang with him; losing in the brake zones and low speed corner exits, but wining in the high speed corners and on the straights.

The car is fast, pulls strong and evenly, but the manual brakes take a ton of effort. Pushing that hard makes it hard to modulate. There's also a strange initial hesitation right at tip in to the throttle at pretty much any RPM. It's like the airflow into the engine takes a second to smooth out. Or that it takes a second to sort out the mixture. As long as the engine's warm it recovers, but when cold at idle any bit of throttle makes it nearly die. Any ideas on this?

Unfortunately, early in the 4th session I suddenly lost the rear end of the car in a tight corner. I caught it but immediately there was a cloud of smoke out the back that then started filling the car. I stayed off line and pulled off track at the next flag station and jumped out. No fire but big oil loss from the fittings at the pan and right onto the driver's side header. I helped with the clean-up until they cleared the track and the wrecker got there to flatbed me back to the paddock. Sucks to be "that guy" to end a session early.

Turns out to be been one of the oil lines I made. So much for my beautiful shiney headers. Sad

It's Aeroquip braided hose which had been used before with an Aeroquip straight end that I removed and installed a Summit Racing brand 90 degree hose end to work with the oil pan. I think my mistake was not cutting off an inch to have a fresh bit hose to clamp in the new end. My planned fix is to cut off the inch and use an Aeroquip 90 degree hose end this time. Other ideas?

Rich
Rich L.

Back to top Go down

Post  Rich L. on Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:05 pm

I was too quick to diagnose. After diggin in there I found it wasn't the steel braided line but the cloth one above it, the pump to filter output line was in physical contact with the header. And despite the heat shield on it the line had melted all the way through and was gushing out oil.

The black is a combination of the burned sleeve and the melted inner hose material.

I recall someone else that had his lines in this location fail. There's got to be a better way to set these up because clearance is so tight and heat is so high. This takes me back a few weeks to the discussion about hard lines for this point rather than the soft.

Rich
Rich L.

Back to top Go down

Post  Arthropraxis on Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:37 pm

That pan and header combo looks like it is close to the lines. The hard lines may be a better option. Mine uses a Moroso pan and S&P headers with the rear most oil line using a 45 deg fitting, allowing plenty of room between the headers and the oil lines. The S&P headers and the Moroso pan are inferior to yours, everything is a compromise.
Arthropraxis

Back to top Go down

Oil lines

Post  fliermike45 on Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:57 am

I wrapped my lines near the headers with fabric style heat shield sold by Pegasus Racing.
Used two loops of safety wire to hold it in place.

fliermike45

Back to top Go down

Post  944-LT1 on Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:13 am

Wowsers! Sorry to see that Rich.

An idea...You can get some cheap 1/4" copper tubing from pretty much any store, cut it to length and bend/form it to how the lines should route and then have a hose place copy them in -10AN tubing with AN fittings. I know my local parker store does this for pretty cheap. That way you dont have to buy a bulk roll of tubing, flaring tools and bender. However, with the engine moving in respect to the oil filter mount, there would need to be some flex line added???

Other ideas that are much quicker and cheaper; if you want to keep the flex lines is to either 1.) fab up a bracket to bolt to the oil pan bolts or the motor mount plate that comes down and holds the lines away from the headers or 2.) probably the fastest and easiest if you have a welder, weld a small tab to the oil pan that you can use metal zip ties to hold them close to the oil pan.

Regardless, Good luck!

944-LT1

Back to top Go down

Post  Rich L. on Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:03 pm

Thanks for the ideas, Guys. I like the hard lines, nice idea making rough ones and having a shop make real ones with AN fittings. But due to the time/effort, I'll probably save that for my 3rd attempt if my 2nd doesn't work out. I've ordered a 90 degree fitting and a 45 degree hose end which I think will get the upper/forward hose to run straight along the block. The lower/rearward line seems okay with the 90 degree hose end. But I'll redo it anyway to be more secure. And I'll fab some type of point on the pan or block to safety wire these guys well clear of the header.

I found another smoking gun too. The nylon zip tie I put on the motor mount to hold the hoses up and away from the header is gone. Perhaps the heat melted it or it just popped off, allowing the lines to sag downward and toward the header. I've not seen "metal zip ties" but those or safety wire is definitely in order around all this heat.

Thanks again,
Rich
Rich L.

Back to top Go down

Post  944-LT1 on Mon Mar 26, 2012 3:21 pm

Rich L. wrote: I've not seen "metal zip ties" but those or safety wire is definitely in order around all this heat.

They call them "stainless steel tie wraps" or just "tie wraps" and are commonly used to hold the wrapping on exhaust system components. Pretty cheap and readily available.

944-LT1

Back to top Go down

Post  Rich L. on Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:30 am

Okay, here's attemp #2 at the oil lines. The return is the same but I've redone the hose attachment to be sure it's good. The feed is now a 90 degree fitting to a 45 degree hose end. This makes the turn a little higher to clear the bulge of the oil pan better and sends the hose forward parallel to the header rather than outward toward it.

Hopefully this setup holds.

Rich
Rich L.

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top