HOW TO DO AN ADVANCED SEARCH.

Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:56 pm by Admin

For the benefit of 944Hybrids users there are two search functions available for you to use.
The purpose of this sticky is to explain the "Advanced Search" function because it is much more powerful and is the best choice when researching information.

When you log on to the site a list of options is shown in a line at the top of the page. One option is labelled "Search", use this option (NOT the search box lower down on the right).

After you click on the upper search option, a drop down box appears. At the bottom of this box is a radio button marked "Advanced …

Comments: 0

Latest topics
» CV axles what are people using
Yesterday at 2:15 pm by Hotrodz of Dallas

» Help with pressure plate (SPEC pressure plate doesnt fit!!)
Yesterday at 11:47 am by dougs951s

» Early LSD clutch replacement
Yesterday at 7:14 am by haroldk

» Help with pressure plate (SPEC pressure plate doesnt fit!!)
Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:47 pm by dougs951s

» Cadillac ATS Brembo Front Brake Swap
Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:42 pm by superman22x

» Lindsey Racing radiator oil cooler.
Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:42 am by spoon4364

» Video of Throwout Action
Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:23 am by chrenan

» Looking for A/c system pics
Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:51 pm by gdopnt

» 83' Porsche 944 LM7 Build
Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:05 pm by yamamtx

» RX7 Caliper Swap
Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:49 pm by osx86ftw

July 2017
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

I forgot my password

Rich's LS powered 944 track car

Page 6 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Rich's LS powered 944 track car

Post by Arthropraxis on Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:52 pm

Big E wrote:
Rich L. wrote:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Check that thing out. I believe it's just a piston pushing on a smaller one to increase mechanical advantage. Interesting.

Interested to know more about that thing. Seems like a good compromise between full manual and hydroboost setups. The mounting flexibility would be nice too.

The old discussion board had a topic about this device and the manufacturer said it was not designed for the higher volume requirements of the 944's front brakes. It was meant more as a booster for rear drum setups.
Has anyone tried the DMC setup with the smaller MC on the rears? I am running .70F/.625R with the bias bar 60F/40R and it feels very good, on the street. On paper that setup makes near the same line PSI as the factory boosted brakes.
Arthropraxis

Back to top Go down

Post by Rich L. on Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:49 pm

I replaced the dual digital water/oil temp gauge with a simple Autometer oil temp gauge with a needle. I think this will be easier to process in the heat of battle.

Headed back to ORP this weekend. Hopefully I'll get more than 3 laps out of the car this time. Sad

Rich
Rich L.

Back to top Go down

Post by docwyte on Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:56 pm

Man, in my car that oil temp gauge would almost always be pegged! Mine read to 280F and on a really hot day it'll get up there...

docwyte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rich L. on Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:27 pm

Hit ORP and got 2 great days of lapping with intermittent showers and ambient temps in the 70s. I had a misfire at WOT the first day but a buddy at the track helped me track this to a bad spark plug wire. The 2nd day the car ran flawlessly. Water temps stayed solid around 175 deg.

Oil temps, however, crept up to peg the new gauge at 250 deg. Before it failed completely, my old digital gauge read max temps of 200 or so. I'm wondering if the thing had been bad all along and now I'm finally getting a good reading on oil temp. And they're quite high. I may be in the same boat of needing to get more air in/out of the cooler(s).

Rich
Rich L.

Back to top Go down

Post by docwyte on Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:32 pm

Wow, your water temps were only 175?! That's unbelievably low, I've never seen them that low in my car, even in cold weather on the street.

I wouldn't worry about oil temps of 250, synthetic oil is fine at those temps and the motor can easily handle it.

docwyte

Back to top Go down

Post by Techno Duck on Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:35 pm

Rich, what are the dimensions of the bar and plate oil cooler you are running? I am shopping for an oil cooler right now, i figure about 5" is the maximum height i can get under the nose panel. I was looking at mounting it in the same spot as you infront of the hood latch.

Right now i think i am going to go with a Seatrab Series 9 cooler, i was looking specifically at the 16x4.5x2 (15 row). To keep the overall height as low as possible i am going to use AN banjo fittings, but that still adds aprox. 1.75" to the height. I think the 4.5" cooler will probably be the best bet, the size up is 5.75" tall which i think will overhang infront of the radiator too much for my liking.

Ducting should be pretty easy as i can just extend the factory plastic duct from the intercooler.

Techno Duck

Back to top Go down

Post by Rich L. on Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:57 pm

Techno Duck wrote:Rich, what are the dimensions of the bar and plate oil cooler you are running?

It's an Earl's cooler, 4" x 14" x 2". You can see a pic of it mounted back on page #7.

Rich
Rich L.

Back to top Go down

Post by Rich L. on Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:36 pm

docwyte wrote:Wow, your water temps were only 175?!

Yeah, the water temps are great! It's got a 160 deg thermostat and the radiator is keeping up nicely. It's a fresh turbo rad with no condenser in front of it, n-a fans, belly pan, and a lip spoiler. Clearly the vent in the nose feeding the oil cooler is not adding too much pressure behind the radiator.

I'm not running synthetic yet, still dino oil for engine break-in. I feel like 250 is the highest I should let it get until I switch.

Rich
Rich L.

Back to top Go down

Post by Rich L. on Sun Aug 19, 2012 11:08 pm

I have now installed a Z06 oil cooler in front of the radiator. It fit really nicely, spanning all the way across, mounting right to the body on the passenger side and with a simple bracket on the driver side. There is some rubber isolation in there.

It sits about an inch in front of the radiator. I've positioned it with gaps to the ducting above and below so air can fill in behind it, hopefully keeping the pressure drop accross the radiator. I'll put the non-vented nose panel back on so I'll be letting less air into the engine bay.

I made more -10 AN lines with adapter fittings to -8 AN o-ring at the cooler. The lines connect to the Earl's 180 degree thermostat I've had on here a while. It feeds from the right of the thermostat to the bottom of the cooler and then returns from the top of the cooler.

Hopefully this will improve my oil cooling without sacraficing my water cooling too much. I'll find out this weekend when I return to The Ridge for a couple lapping days. Should be in the high 80s, hot for the PacNW and a good test of the cooling.

Rich
Rich L.

Back to top Go down

Post by 944-LT1 on Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:19 am

Youre getting 175 degrees at the head? Shocked Congrats!

944-LT1

Back to top Go down

Post by Rich L. on Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:48 pm

Well, the results were mixed. The oil cooling was good, temps staying in the 230-240 range. But the water cooling was worse, climbing up past the 212 mark and triggering the fans to run even at speed. This was with 90 degree ambient temps. So I can either move the oil cooler back up above the rad or upgrade the radiator from this turbo part.

Rich
Rich L.

Back to top Go down

Post by Rich L. on Tue Aug 28, 2012 1:04 pm

Uh oh. I had a growing vibration under power over the weekend. Felt like it was the left rear but didn't move to the right when I swapped the rear tires. Now I've found the boot torn and a fresh ring of grease at the inner driver side CV.

Presumably these axles are 20 years old with 200k miles on them. And I've still got the factory tranny mount on there. Would a new set of 951 axles hold up with xschop's tranny mount? Or do I have to upgrade to beefy axles? It's probably only pushing 350 lbft to the wheels, tops.

Rich
Rich L.

Back to top Go down

Post by 948inVA on Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:53 pm

Rich, you might want to try the vanagon axles that were discussed on RL. Seems like several people have tried them with good results, and they're only $60 each. I ordered one as a spare just in case. They're part #7289-05150861 on this page - [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
948inVA

Back to top Go down

Post by Arthropraxis on Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:03 pm

I have the vanogen axles and they are holding up well. This is on a street driven car.
Arthropraxis

Back to top Go down

Post by Rich L. on Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:34 pm

Sweet. Ordered a pair. Thanks for the lead.

By the way, here's the RL thread:

Rich

Last edited by Rich L. on Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Rich L.

Back to top Go down

Post by 948inVA on Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:50 pm

I also used the allen bolts with nord-lock washers from mcmaster-carr.. haven't really tested them on the road yet, but when I unbolted them they seem to hold really well. They're stronger than stock and if you use the 50mm bolts with the nord-lock washers they end up being about the same depth as the stock 48mm bolts.

948inVA

Back to top Go down

Post by Rich L. on Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:41 pm

I've got the new axles on the car. The old ones were definitely shot. The driver side inner CV had mangled the cage and spat bits out through the boot. And the passenger side's grease was liquified, pouring out and into my Birkenstocks when I pulled it off the car. Ick!

The new axles are purdy.

I also have installed a Wizard radiator from Lindsey Racing. I had been getting away with a turbo rad but not with the Z06 cooler in front of it. I so much prefer not having the oil cooler in the nose with that awful fiberglass vented panel, so I've gone ahead and upgraded the radiator in the hopes I can leave it all with the single air inlet below the bumper.

It was a direct fit but turned out to be a bit of a squeeze. It's quite a bit thicker so gone is the nice space between the accessories and the fans. I can still get my fingers in between, but it's tight. It's off to ORP again this weekend where it'll be hot and a great test of the cooling system.

Rich
Rich L.

Back to top Go down

Post by Rich L. on Mon Oct 01, 2012 2:04 pm

SQUARE!! I finally ran my new tires, 255s front and back, and what a difference. I finally had good feel in the front end. The manual steering was fine with this setup. And the rear end would swing out and I could judge the slip angle back there and finally felt like I could sense and correct oversteer. The car was so much more controllable, made me so much more comfortable.

I wound the brake bias much further forward with the bigger front tires. This got the front brakes much hotter and changed the feel dramatically. I wasn't struggling with rear lock-up and had none of the odd loss of stopping power which was going on before. I measured 450 F front rotor temps and 300 F rear, this in the paddock after a cool-down lap.

The other change I made was to remove the Z06 oil cooler from in front of the radiator. I put the RX7 oil cooler back in the nose and re-installed my vented header panel. Oil pressures with 0w40 Mobil 1 were hitting 70 PSI above 5k RPM and temperatures stayed below 250 F. Water temps were back under control, sitting around 170 F and the fans kicking on as I exited track.

Rich
Rich L.

Back to top Go down

Post by docwyte on Mon Oct 01, 2012 3:38 pm

Geez, water temps of 170F?! I don't even see that low driving on the street...

docwyte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rich L. on Mon Oct 01, 2012 3:56 pm

Well, maybe more like 180-190 F. Refering to this:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

When my temps were elevated due to the Z06 cooler in front of the rad, I was getting up toward the 240 F mark. That day my water pump failed, sprouting a leak at the pulley shaft.

Rich
Rich L.

Back to top Go down

Post by Rich L. on Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:29 pm

Those are 255/40 BFG R1s on 17x9 ET55 cupII wheels. It's the M030 setup up front which is spaced out 3mm and 15mm spacers in the rear. Fender lips are rolled. Handling is so much better running square like this and now I can rotate tires!

Rich
Rich L.

Back to top Go down

Post by rooster on Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:12 pm

Rich, I have the same wheels - unfortunately staggered and not square. Ultimately I'd like to find another set of of 17x9s for the front too. In the mean time I need some spacers, where did you get yours? Thanks.

rooster

Back to top Go down

Post by Rich L. on Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:10 am

I got 'em from "pe-motorwerks" on eBay. Nothing special. H&R spacers are certainly nicer but are twice the $. I tried a set of 21mm take-offs from an early offset car, but couldn't get the tire to fit inside the fender.

Rich
Rich L.

Back to top Go down

Post by docwyte on Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:35 am

I run those wheels with 275-40-17 tires front and rear.

Rich, you don't have a real water temp gauge? I'm using an Autometer one, that way I know how hot things are getting...

docwyte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rich L. on Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:29 pm

I did have a SPA dual water/oil temp gauge. But I found the numbers hard to process in the heat of battle. So I've gone back to using needles; one in the dash for water and another in the console for oil.

Rich
Rich L.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top