944Hybrids: 924/944/968 and 928 V8 Conversions
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
HOW TO DO AN ADVANCED SEARCH.

Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:56 pm by Admin

For the benefit of 944Hybrids users there are two search functions available for you to use.
The purpose of this sticky is to explain the "Advanced Search" function because it is much more powerful and is the best choice when researching information.

When you log on to the site a list of options is shown in a line at the top of the page. One option is labelled "Search", use this option (NOT the search box lower down on the right).

After you click on the upper search option, a drop down box appears. At the bottom of this box is a radio button marked "Advanced …

Comments: 0

Latest topics
» Fesler Saratoga Top
Need suggestions, intermediate shaft hitting S&P headers EmptyMon Apr 15, 2024 7:28 pm by JW1970

» Ray's 1987 944 LS1 Build & Swap
Need suggestions, intermediate shaft hitting S&P headers EmptyMon Apr 15, 2024 6:59 pm by JW1970

» LS 982 5speed project here
Need suggestions, intermediate shaft hitting S&P headers EmptyMon Apr 15, 2024 9:51 am by Raymond-P

» LT1 Spark Plug make and model
Need suggestions, intermediate shaft hitting S&P headers EmptyFri Apr 12, 2024 3:07 pm by Rob44

» 928 5-speed kit
Need suggestions, intermediate shaft hitting S&P headers EmptyWed Apr 10, 2024 10:09 pm by LS982

» HYDRAULIC THROWOUT/RELEASE BEARING NOT ENGAGING FULLY
Need suggestions, intermediate shaft hitting S&P headers EmptyTue Apr 09, 2024 8:45 am by gwistrup

» Slave Cylinder Spacing from Clutch Fingers
Need suggestions, intermediate shaft hitting S&P headers EmptyTue Apr 09, 2024 1:54 am by lowform

» WANTED: 948 Conversion Manual
Need suggestions, intermediate shaft hitting S&P headers EmptyMon Apr 08, 2024 1:52 pm by Elskeptico

» FS 1989 Transmission for 944
Need suggestions, intermediate shaft hitting S&P headers EmptyTue Apr 02, 2024 10:02 am by 87roadracer

» Honda k24 swap
Need suggestions, intermediate shaft hitting S&P headers EmptyTue Apr 02, 2024 6:00 am by 89EFhatch

April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

I forgot my password

Need suggestions, intermediate shaft hitting S&P headers

+4
Dan J
xschop
Admin
Arthropraxis
8 posters

Go down

Need suggestions, intermediate shaft hitting S&P headers Empty Need suggestions, intermediate shaft hitting S&P headers

Post  Arthropraxis Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:50 pm

I made half inch crossmember spacers and the hood shut perfectly, but the intermediate shaft hits the second primary tube. So, I cut the hood support, took the spacers out and dropped the crossmember to 1/4 inch drop. The hood still closed and the intermediate shaft still hits the second primary. Rather disappointing as I slightly dimpled the hood prying the adhesive off and damn near cut a hole in the hood.

I slotted the front crossmember and will do the back crossmember to try and slide the whole drive train back to create some room. I have half and inch to the dual master cyinder mount on the firewall. When I slotted the front crossmember on the passenger side all it did was allow the upright to sit flat as it was binding a little before.

Any other options to create some room for the intermediate shaft?
Arthropraxis
Arthropraxis

Back to top Go down

Need suggestions, intermediate shaft hitting S&P headers Empty Re: Need suggestions, intermediate shaft hitting S&P headers

Post  Admin Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:50 am

How bad is it hitting? which type motor mounts are you using? Old or new style?

Admin
Admin
Admin

http://www.TexasPerformanceConcepts.com

Back to top Go down

Need suggestions, intermediate shaft hitting S&P headers Empty Re: Need suggestions, intermediate shaft hitting S&P headers

Post  Arthropraxis Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:07 am

With a half inch drop I can't mount the steering rack. With a quarter inch drop it is rubbing but the rack can be mounted. I don't know if the mounts are old or new style. The mounts are red eurethane, not the rubber mounts.
Arthropraxis
Arthropraxis

Back to top Go down

Post  xschop Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:26 am

Arth, did you lengthen the steering shaft?
xschop
xschop

Back to top Go down

Post  Arthropraxis Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:31 am

No need to lengthen the shaft, if it didn't hit the header it would be long enough. I know the guy that originally made the headers that these were copied from did not use spacers. Even without spacers, the steering intermediate shaft is pretty close to the primary tube.
Arthropraxis
Arthropraxis

Back to top Go down

Post  xschop Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:42 am

I know you have my Dual MC housing/mount and you can get the rear of the driver's head to sit 3/16 to 1/4" away from the alloy plate even with rubber engine mounts it will not hit under hard revs or hard braking.... this is the reason I designed the V8 trans mount to sit the drivetrain back because my modded 2312 headers hit the steering shaft at such a big X-member drop..... get it as close as possible.
xschop
xschop

Back to top Go down

Post  Arthropraxis Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:43 am

That was my plan. I have about a half an inch before I hit the alloy plate. If I can move it back a quarter of an inch it should give enough clearance.
Arthropraxis
Arthropraxis

Back to top Go down

Post  xschop Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:48 am

If you are running Poly engine mounts, I wouldn't even be afraid to go right under 3/16" clearance. Keep up the great work. It'll all come to fruition soon and be worth the hassle.
xschop
xschop

Back to top Go down

Post  Dan J Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:25 pm

I'm running a set of the s&p headers from last year's first group buy organized by Sloan.

I was disappointed to learn that even after the custom fabrication, the steering shaft interfered very slightly on the #5 cylinder down tube. I ended up removing the header and - the horror - pressing a dimple into the header at the point of interference. In my car's case, I'm not running spacers and using Sloan's uprights with stiff Energy Suspension urethane mounts.

Note on those headers - I also needed to trim the passenger side crossmember and cut off the v-band clamps and modify the collectors, because they were so low and pointed at a downward angle when mounted in the car. It was a shame to have to mess with those things, especially after they'd been ceramic coated and customized by the fabricator.

With those modifications, the header clearance no longer a problem.

Dan.

Dan J
Dan J

Back to top Go down

Post  Arthropraxis Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:51 pm

I have those same headers and am having the same problems as you. The only plus is mine would clear the shaft without a spacer. Not excited to hear about having to trim the collector on the passenger side. I had read you did that and was hoping I would not have the same issue.
Arthropraxis
Arthropraxis

Back to top Go down

Post  docwyte Sat Jul 16, 2011 7:05 pm

Have the same headers on my car, Eric had to dimple that tube for clearance. Don't think he had to mess with the collector though.

docwyte

Back to top Go down

Post  Arthropraxis Sat Jul 16, 2011 11:46 pm

Is there some trick to moving the drive train backwards? I slotted the front and rear cross members, put a jack that is on wheels under the transmission and hung the motor from a hoist. I tried to pry it back from the dog ears in front of the transmission and it moved slightly, I think, can't find my tape measure. The last time I saw it my daughter was playing with it.
Doc, your headers are different than mine. The model I have has V-band adapters welded to the collectors and the passenger side dumps straight down almost parallel with the ground. It looks like it was welded backwards, if it was turned 180degrees it would point to the back like it should.
Arthropraxis
Arthropraxis

Back to top Go down

Post  944-LT1 Sun Jul 17, 2011 11:02 am

Arthropraxis wrote:Is there some trick to moving the drive train backwards?

Is the car level when trying to do this?

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
944-LT1
944-LT1

Back to top Go down

Post  Arthropraxis Sun Jul 17, 2011 12:33 pm

I don't know why it wouldn't move last night. This morning it went back without any effort to 5/16ths from the master cylinder plate. The rear of the transmission is closer than that to the spare tire well. I think that is about as close as I can get it.
Arthropraxis
Arthropraxis

Back to top Go down

Need suggestions, intermediate shaft hitting S&P headers Empty Update, FIXED!

Post  Arthropraxis Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:02 pm

The steering rack clears by 1/8th of an inch and the hood shuts with some space above the throttle body. All it took was to use .25in spacers, cut the hood brace and move the drive train back about .25in. Looks strange to see the car with the hood shut.
Arthropraxis
Arthropraxis

Back to top Go down

Post  Dan J Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:14 am

That's fantastic - great news.

Also, that's funny observation. I remember the first time seeing the car with the hood closed was just about as satisfying as hearing it fire up. And, once the car was finally off jack stands and standing on it's suspension (about 9 months) everything seemed so impossibly low to the ground.

Dan.
Dan J
Dan J

Back to top Go down

Post  Arthropraxis Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:42 pm

Funny , I just had that conversation with someone the other day. I have only sat in the car one time that was not on jack stands and have never driven it.
Dan do you have any pictures of how you modified the passenger side collector and V-band?
Arthropraxis
Arthropraxis

Back to top Go down

Post  Dan J Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:47 pm

Just wait until you drive the thing...

I'm traveling now, and can get you pictures next week. Really I wasn't very happy about how those collectors worked out. I took the car to a muffler shop for the exhaust fabrication and as we were going over things with the car on the rack, they mentioned that the collectors pointed down - that it may be a problem. I returned at the end of the day to find that they'd cut the manifolds in order to make it work and the welds aren't the prettiest. They did replace the v-bands after grafting in a 90 deg section.

It added to the cost and didn't look the way I wanted. In other words, not a part of the conversion I'm most proud of - but very functional and I think redirecting the exhaust is necessary for clearance.

If anyone is making longer tube headers that would be a good option as long as they are custom for the 944 fitment.

Results are good though. Here's a recent track day at Oregon Raceway Park. The car loves that track.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Dan.
Dan J
Dan J

Back to top Go down

Post  Arthropraxis Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:35 pm

Eric is/was making long tube headers for the conversion. I would appreciate the pictures so I can show the muffler guy what is going to need to be done.
That is a nice smooth, flowing track with good elevation changes and nicely banked turns. I can see why it would be fun. Reminds me of VIR.
Arthropraxis
Arthropraxis

Back to top Go down

Post  docwyte Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:38 pm

Eric has long tube headers on his site for sale...

docwyte

Back to top Go down

Post  eclou Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:26 am

wow ORP looks like an awesome track - virgin asphalt, elevation changes, wide run-off areas!
eclou
eclou

Back to top Go down

Post  Tehone Wed Jul 27, 2011 6:57 pm

That does look like FUN. I hope I will experince a road course with my project upon completion day (somewhere in the future). It would have been nice to hear the exhaust as you were working that Vette over. I'm only in the infant stages of my conversion but you guys have done some awesome work.

Tehone

Back to top Go down