944Hybrids: 924/944/968 and 928 V8 Conversions
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
HOW TO DO AN ADVANCED SEARCH.

Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:56 pm by Admin

For the benefit of 944Hybrids users there are two search functions available for you to use.
The purpose of this sticky is to explain the "Advanced Search" function because it is much more powerful and is the best choice when researching information.

When you log on to the site a list of options is shown in a line at the top of the page. One option is labelled "Search", use this option (NOT the search box lower down on the right).

After you click on the upper search option, a drop down box appears. At the bottom of this box is a radio button marked "Advanced …

Comments: 0

Latest topics
» Purpose of the speed sensor with a stock ECU
Torque Tube / drive shaft spline issues EmptyToday at 12:47 am by sharkey

» Ray's 1987 944 LS1 Build & Swap
Torque Tube / drive shaft spline issues EmptyFri Mar 15, 2024 1:01 am by Raymond-P

» power steering pump
Torque Tube / drive shaft spline issues EmptyThu Mar 14, 2024 10:28 pm by Rond948

» VATS Bypass/Delete
Torque Tube / drive shaft spline issues EmptyThu Mar 14, 2024 8:38 pm by Rond948

» FS: Porsche 928 968 944 S2 951 Turbo FRONT BREMBO CALIPERS
Torque Tube / drive shaft spline issues EmptyTue Mar 12, 2024 3:22 pm by dcoutofstep

» 944 S2/Turbo J LTD Edition Front Lip Spoiler - Brand New never fitted
Torque Tube / drive shaft spline issues EmptyTue Mar 12, 2024 2:10 pm by dcoutofstep

» Adding Purge Solenoid Wiring to Standalone Harness
Torque Tube / drive shaft spline issues EmptyTue Mar 12, 2024 12:12 pm by ndog52

» Crank no start no fuel pump prime
Torque Tube / drive shaft spline issues EmptyFri Mar 08, 2024 9:07 pm by Rond948

» What coilover spring rates are you running with torsion bar removed?
Torque Tube / drive shaft spline issues EmptyFri Mar 08, 2024 10:15 am by dcoutofstep

» 924 that has been modified already
Torque Tube / drive shaft spline issues EmptyWed Feb 28, 2024 12:17 am by Gutterboy

March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

I forgot my password

Torque Tube / drive shaft spline issues

4 posters

Go down

Torque Tube / drive shaft spline issues Empty Torque Tube / drive shaft spline issues

Post  Tehone Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:54 pm

I have a 84' 944 that had a auto trans that is giving way to a 86' turbo 5-spd. I have read the issues surrounding the end of the driveshaft and wonder about what I have come across in the differences between the auto drive shaft vs. the manual shaft.

The picture below is the auto on the left and the manual on the right. I was unaware of the difference and did not know of the retainer clip on the auto that is reatined on the front side of the splines for the rubber dampner flywheel. The dampner was destroyed and since I didn't know this clip was there I fought many days and hours trying to seperate the drive shaft TT from the back of the engine Evil or Very Mad . Finally fought my way through this by removing the bellhousing and then the light went off when I saw the retaining clip.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.][/img]

Looking at the front, the auto (right) has a bearing right out toward the end of the TT housing and the manual (left) the bearing is nowhere to be seen.
[img][You must be registered and logged in to see this image.][/img]

The tell of the tape: auto

Manual

Do I have a problem with my manual TT driveshaft with the bearing recessed as it is or are they all like this?

After reading and seeing pic's of the issue with the end of the driveshaft behind the pilot bearing area bent or distorted that it may possibly be caused with the bearing recessed so far back in the TT. I'm not sying that this was the reason but if the front of the shaft is supported by the crankshaft pilot bearing and then the bearing in the TT in the location that is as noted in my case. How much flex is there in the driveshaft between the pilot bearing and the first bearing in the TT? Since the LS motors are capable of putting out a whole lot more torque and horspower than the Porsche engine I would say there has to be some flex and would / could cause damged to the end of the driveshaft spline area. I'm sure it would take a lot of flex to pull the tip of the drive shaft out of the pilot bearing but you guys that are running the big horspower and torque launching it to the big fat meats at the rear wheels something has to be under a lot of stress to the power being applied.

How many bearings are in the TT and where are they typically located? If mine isn't an issue would it not be better to have a bearing located out toward the end of the TT like what I found in the auto application? It would support the driveshaft under load don't you think?

Tehone

Back to top Go down

Torque Tube / drive shaft spline issues Empty TT dimensions

Post  fliermike45 Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:32 pm

If you are interested please pm me and I will give you the email address for Constantine who rebuilds these shafts and is an expert on them.

fliermike45

Back to top Go down

Torque Tube / drive shaft spline issues Empty Re: Torque Tube / drive shaft spline issues

Post  Admin Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:56 pm

There is nothing wrong with your manual TT, unless it's just wore out! The tip of the manual TT rides in the Pilot bearing, that's where it gets it support , the auto TT doesn't have this option.

Admin
Admin
Admin

http://www.TexasPerformanceConcepts.com

Back to top Go down

Torque Tube / drive shaft spline issues Empty Re: Torque Tube / drive shaft spline issues

Post  Tehone Wed Jul 06, 2011 6:05 am

I wasn't thinking about the auto TT not being supported by a pilot bearing and would reflect back as to why the bearing would be positioned as it was found thus supporting the end of the shaft for the movement in the rubber flywheel dampner especially when they go bad.

If the bearing location for the auto supports in the way it does I think it would be an enhancement for the manual TT and the new power houses. Having a bearing located at the end of the TT would close the distance between the TT bearing and pilot bearing and help support and take load off of the pilot bearing.

Fliermike45, I will PM for the info and inquire more with rebuilder.

Tehone

Back to top Go down

Post  Tehone Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:49 pm

Admin wrote:.... The tip of the manual TT rides in the Pilot bearing, that's where it gets it support , the auto TT doesn't have this option.

Got to thinking about the auto not having a pilot bearing to ride in and looked at the porsche engine today and it looks like it has a pilot bearing to me.

Last edited by Tehone on Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:50 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : no picture)

Tehone

Back to top Go down

Post  Tehone Sat Jul 09, 2011 9:00 am

Had a discussion with Constantine and it is believed what I have is a typical TT bearing placement in both the auto and manual TT's and reinforced what others had responded too as well. I had thought that my findings might have some bearing on the driveshaft spline issues but it doesn't.

It was mentioned that while the TT was out, now was the time to rebuild, as it's removal/installation is not all that user freindly.

Tehone

Back to top Go down

Post  xschop Sat Jul 09, 2011 4:55 pm

Rebuild it while it's out.
xschop
xschop

Back to top Go down

Torque Tube / drive shaft spline issues Empty Torque Tube

Post  fliermike45 Sat Jul 09, 2011 6:47 pm

Constantine did mine, he's a class act.

fliermike45

Back to top Go down