944Hybrids: 924/944/968 and 928 V8 Conversions
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
HOW TO DO AN ADVANCED SEARCH.

Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:56 pm by Admin

For the benefit of 944Hybrids users there are two search functions available for you to use.
The purpose of this sticky is to explain the "Advanced Search" function because it is much more powerful and is the best choice when researching information.

When you log on to the site a list of options is shown in a line at the top of the page. One option is labelled "Search", use this option (NOT the search box lower down on the right).

After you click on the upper search option, a drop down box appears. At the bottom of this box is a radio button marked "Advanced …

Comments: 0

Latest topics
» Purpose of the speed sensor with a stock ECU
Blue Alternator Wire EmptyToday at 9:56 am by ndog52

» Ray's 1987 944 LS1 Build & Swap
Blue Alternator Wire EmptyFri Mar 15, 2024 1:01 am by Raymond-P

» power steering pump
Blue Alternator Wire EmptyThu Mar 14, 2024 10:28 pm by Rond948

» VATS Bypass/Delete
Blue Alternator Wire EmptyThu Mar 14, 2024 8:38 pm by Rond948

» FS: Porsche 928 968 944 S2 951 Turbo FRONT BREMBO CALIPERS
Blue Alternator Wire EmptyTue Mar 12, 2024 3:22 pm by dcoutofstep

» 944 S2/Turbo J LTD Edition Front Lip Spoiler - Brand New never fitted
Blue Alternator Wire EmptyTue Mar 12, 2024 2:10 pm by dcoutofstep

» Adding Purge Solenoid Wiring to Standalone Harness
Blue Alternator Wire EmptyTue Mar 12, 2024 12:12 pm by ndog52

» Crank no start no fuel pump prime
Blue Alternator Wire EmptyFri Mar 08, 2024 9:07 pm by Rond948

» What coilover spring rates are you running with torsion bar removed?
Blue Alternator Wire EmptyFri Mar 08, 2024 10:15 am by dcoutofstep

» 924 that has been modified already
Blue Alternator Wire EmptyWed Feb 28, 2024 12:17 am by Gutterboy

March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

I forgot my password

Blue Alternator Wire

+2
robstah
pormgb
6 posters

Go down

Blue Alternator Wire Empty Blue Alternator Wire

Post  pormgb Sat Jun 11, 2011 6:46 pm

I'm currently using the PCM to switch on the alternator, I have a resistor in line connected to pin B on the alternator. Do I connect the blue wire before or after the resistor?
pormgb
pormgb

Back to top Go down

Blue Alternator Wire Empty Re: Blue Alternator Wire

Post  robstah Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:41 pm

Which motor and ECU? I just planned on using the ECU to trigger the alternator, which makes the blue wire useless.

robstah

Back to top Go down

Post  pormgb Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:49 pm

robstah wrote:Which motor and ECU? I just planned on using the ECU to trigger the alternator, which makes the blue wire useless.

i have a lS1 with 99+ ECU, my ECU is currently triggering the alternator.

Thanks!!
pormgb
pormgb

Back to top Go down

Post  944-LT1 Mon Jun 13, 2011 12:09 am

The blue wire simply routes to the dash cluster; to the charge indicator bulb. Sounds like you want to this light to illuminate if/when the alternator fails? Splice the blue wire between the alternator and the resistor you added. A lot of car manufacturers actually did it this way in that if the dash bulb ever failed, the resistor would still allow the alternator to charge.
944-LT1
944-LT1

Back to top Go down

Post  pormgb Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:35 am

944-LT1 wrote:The blue wire simply routes to the dash cluster; to the charge indicator bulb. Sounds like you want to this light to illuminate if/when the alternator fails? Splice the blue wire between the alternator and the resistor you added. A lot of car manufacturers actually did it this way in that if the dash bulb ever failed, the resistor would still allow the alternator to charge.

Thanks, thats exactly what i was looking for. Very Happy
pormgb
pormgb

Back to top Go down

Post  944-LT1 Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:21 am

No problem! Very Happy
944-LT1
944-LT1

Back to top Go down

Blue Alternator Wire Empty LS3 Motor Installed did not use the blue alternator wire

Post  Porsche951toLS3 Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:22 pm

I just finished my LS3 motor install.  I was very confused about where to hook up the "blue wire" for my alternator light.  The only wire from the LS3 computer was a thin orange wire which clicked in place to my new alternator.  I found out to my surprise later that I never needed the blue wire from the porsche and this orange wire was the exciter wire for the alternator controlled by the LS3 computer.  It only turned on at a specific RPM.  So in short, I only have the alternator power wire to my battery and the orange exciter wire controlled by the computer.  

I only wanted to add this information in case others were working with something similar.
Porsche951toLS3
Porsche951toLS3

http://n4cr@comcast.net

Bruce da moose likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  robschwieb Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:02 pm

Porsche951toLS3 wrote:I just finished my LS3 motor install.  I was very confused about where to hook up the "blue wire" for my alternator light.  The only wire from the LS3 computer was a thin orange wire which clicked in place to my new alternator.  I found out to my surprise later that I never needed the blue wire from the porsche and this orange wire was the exciter wire for the alternator controlled by the LS3 computer.  It only turned on at a specific RPM.  So in short, I only have the alternator power wire to my battery and the orange exciter wire controlled by the computer.  

I only wanted to add this information in case others were working with something similar.

I seem to have fallen into the same rut here. What did you do for your alternator dash light, just remove the bulb?
robschwieb
robschwieb

Back to top Go down

Post  Porsche951toLS3 Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:39 pm

I just left the light bulb in there. It works great and I can see my voltage while the car is running. The dash light would only be when voltage is low, but I am fine with that one light not working. I believe if you did have a problem, the LS3 computer would give you an engine light for it and then you would ODBII to find out it was caused by the alternator, so you still have a light for when there is a problem....just not the original Porsche alternator light. Hope that all makes sense.
Porsche951toLS3
Porsche951toLS3

http://n4cr@comcast.net

Back to top Go down

Post  robschwieb Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:57 am

Porsche951toLS3 wrote:I just left the light bulb in there.  It works great and I can see my voltage while the car is running.  The dash light would only be when voltage is low, but I am fine with that one light not working.  I believe if you did have a problem, the LS3 computer would give you an engine light for it and then you would ODBII to find out it was caused by the alternator, so you still have a light for when there is a problem....just not the original Porsche alternator light.  Hope that all makes sense.

Makes perfect sense now. I know this topic has been beat to death but this is one aspect of it I couldn't find via numerous searches. Thanks for the help!
robschwieb
robschwieb

Back to top Go down

Post  Rich L. Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:05 am

I did use the blue wire in my build and had an alternator fail last year. What I got was the big red ! light in the dash flickering, very noticeable even on track. The little <alt> light was coming on too, but didn't see that until I got back to the paddock for diagnostics.

The OBD light of the Chevy computer never came on, no codes popped. But this is an LS1 computer that doesn't have that exciter wire you mention. Just FYI.
Rich L.
Rich L.

Back to top Go down