HOW TO DO AN ADVANCED SEARCH.

Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:56 pm by Admin

For the benefit of 944Hybrids users there are two search functions available for you to use.
The purpose of this sticky is to explain the "Advanced Search" function because it is much more powerful and is the best choice when researching information.

When you log on to the site a list of options is shown in a line at the top of the page. One option is labelled "Search", use this option (NOT the search box lower down on the right).

After you click on the upper search option, a drop down box appears. At the bottom of this box is a radio button marked "Advanced …

Comments: 0

Latest topics
» 1987 944 Turbo --> LS
Today at 9:28 am by Hotrodz of Dallas

» Standalone Fuel Pump Relay. What to do with DME?
Yesterday at 1:14 pm by sharkey

» Rebuilt engine threw three rods
Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:08 pm by Rich L.

» What Intake Elbow to Use ?
Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:53 pm by Rich L.

» Anyone done an LS4?
Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:30 pm by sharkey

» Selling my 1986 Porsche 951 LS1 :(
Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:09 am by Luke714

» Where are all the action shots
Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:02 pm by Red944ls1

» majormojo's LY6 swap
Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:09 pm by chrenan

» MSD Distributor Hookup
Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:09 pm by mred2nice

» V8 Conversion Parts
Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:44 am by jshprd

November 2017
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

I forgot my password

Tim's 944LS1 track car build!

Page 3 of 22 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 12 ... 22  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Tim's 944LS1 track car build!

Post  Lemming on Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:06 am

I've ordered the Wilwood 13/16 and need to find an adapter to go to the throw out bearing. Where can I get the male adapter to attach to the female OEM adapter below. (The one with the red cap). Or am I better off removing and setting up as below?

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Lemming

Back to top Go down

Post  944-LT1 on Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:11 am

Where can I get the male adapter to attach to the female OEM adapter below. (The one with the red cap). Or am I better off removing and setting up as below?

The gold adapter w/red cap is the quick-disconnect fitting that separates like a quick-disconnect air hose. This fitting can be pulled apart and reconnected without introducing air into the system.

Theres a reason I made the setup in the picture (and hence posted it here to help others). The reason is that the stock hose assembly is not very good.
See here... [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
944-LT1

Back to top Go down

Post  Lemming on Mon Jun 13, 2011 3:04 pm

944-LT1 wrote:
Where can I get the male adapter to attach to the female OEM adapter below. (The one with the red cap). Or am I better off removing and setting up as below?

The gold adapter w/red cap is the quick-disconnect fitting that separates like a quick-disconnect air hose. This fitting can be pulled apart and reconnected without introducing air into the system.

Theres a reason I made the setup in the picture (and hence posted it here to help others). The reason is that the stock hose assembly is not very good.
See here... [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Thanks, that sounds like a good reason.
Lemming

Back to top Go down

Mounting of fuel filter/regulator

Post  Lemming on Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:35 am

Starting to plan for the fuel filter/regulator mounting. I would like to put this in the original fuel filter location to keep the engine bay as uncluttered as possible. Who has mounted one back there? Got pics? Is there any downfall in deleting the original filter and only using the filter/regulator?
Lemming

Back to top Go down

Post  robstah on Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:36 pm

Lemming wrote:Starting to plan for the fuel filter/regulator mounting. I would like to put this in the original fuel filter location to keep the engine bay as uncluttered as possible. Who has mounted one back there? Got pics? Is there any downfall in deleting the original filter and only using the filter/regulator?

I plan on running it like that. No need to have two filters.

If I get around to installing the transaxle today, I'll post some pictures for you.

robstah

Back to top Go down

Post  Arthropraxis on Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:42 pm

There is a pic on here somewhere where Admin put his filter/regulator in the original place using AN fittings and nice lines. I did it with regular fuel injection hose and fuel injection clamps.
Arthropraxis

Back to top Go down

Post  robstah on Tue Jun 14, 2011 2:05 pm

Arthropraxis wrote:There is a pic on here somewhere where Admin put his filter/regulator in the original place using AN fittings and nice lines. I did it with regular fuel injection hose and fuel injection clamps.

I did this as well and ended up finding cheap 30r9 hose (E85 rated) just in case.

You can also cut off the collars of the stock hoses and reuse factory hardware. It's a barbed fitting underneath, so just use clamps and that should help you save some cash. No need to run AN everywhere.

robstah

Back to top Go down

Post  robstah on Tue Jun 14, 2011 3:31 pm

Here's what will be installed:

The bits I was able to get off of the old hoses (by cutting the collars off):

robstah

Back to top Go down

Post  Arthropraxis on Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:23 pm

I didn't realize they were barbed. Good info.
Arthropraxis

Back to top Go down

Post  Lemming on Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:12 pm

Thanks for the photo, that's exactly where I planned on putting it. Busy putting together my order, I plan to do everything in braided and -an hose. Will likely order early next week when I know exactly what I want for my remote oil filter and oil cooler.

Dropped the tubing off with the welder today, he will tack everything together and then I'll test fit this weekend if I get my mounts and bellhousing adapter from Eric.

Packages started arriving today! Harness has been modified and on it's way back, along with my fuel injectors that I had cleaned and flow matched. Heads were also finished today and they should be back in B'ham tomorrow or Friday. I'm hoping to have the engine completely assembled by the end of my day on Friday.
Lemming

Back to top Go down

Oil cooling options

Post  Lemming on Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:47 am

What are you track guys running. I'm trying to decide on either a front mount (in front of radiator) or under the front valance with a fan. I'm concerned that my 951 radiator (recently cleaned and checked) will barely be enough and that adding an oil cooler in front of it will decrease the water cooling.
Lemming

Back to top Go down

Post  docwyte on Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:35 am

I know TonyG is running his as a front mount. But he also deleted AC, so that's one less thing the air has to go through.

Mine is mounted parallel to the ground, just below the passenger fog light, which is used to duct air to and through the oil cooler.

I'm currently using my stock radiator and it's on my list of things to replace. In talking with the 944 Spec racer guys they say to just replace the radiator, that even after cleaning out the old ones, they still don't cool nearly as well as a new one...

docwyte

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:48 am

Weren't you looking for one of these?

Admin
Admin
Admin

http://www.TexasPerformanceConcepts.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Lemming on Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:12 pm

Admin wrote:Weren't you looking for one of these?

Thanks, but I ordered the Canton adapter that Tom suggested, it is backordered but it will be here in time to make the race.
Lemming

Back to top Go down

Post  Marky522 on Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:10 am

I have been in contact with Howe Racing out of MI, and they quoted me around $400 for a custom aluminum dual pass radiator. It was priced using 944 turbo dimensions, -16 AN lines in and out, with a drain plug.

Mark

Marky522

Back to top Go down

Post  Lemming on Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:43 am

Marky522 wrote:I have been in contact with Howe Racing out of MI, and they quoted me around $400 for a custom aluminum dual pass radiator. It was priced using 944 turbo dimensions, -16 AN lines in and out, with a drain plug.

Mark

I'm going to give the 951 radiator a try. I have three louvers in the hood from when the car was supercharged, this allows for quite a bit of air flow through the rad.

This is a big weekend for the build. Heads are back and engine parts are in (other than oil cooling and remote filter). Engine mounts and TT adapter will be here by noon today and my headers have been tacked together to check fit. Guess now all I need to do is fill the beer fridge What a Face
Lemming

Back to top Go down

Post  expuppy on Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:31 am

I just got back from 944 fest and there was a guy there with an LS in his turbo car. On the track, he had some horrific water temp issues. He tried water wetter and other stuff but could not keep the car cool on the track. I have the Ron Davis radiator and had no issues on the track. The only cars i had to point by were very good drivers running some pretty risky boosts and I was just there for seat time and was minding my manners. The rennlist guys were great and have accepted the frankencars for the most part. I am glad we dont feud with them anymore. Good luck with the radiator and maybe you will find a new angle to make the oem radiator work. You can always try it and if you need to, upgrade.

expuppy

Back to top Go down

Post  v8carreragts on Sat Jun 18, 2011 12:22 pm

Provided you have enough air flow and water flow (and of course proper tuning) the 951 radiator is good for about 500 HP, theoretically. (physical size, surface area, specific heat, etc.) This is without an A/C condenser in front of it.

I am using one on my car, and I will have my A/C condensers mounted separately on each side with separate fans with nothing blocking the radiator.
v8carreragts

Back to top Go down

Post  Lemming on Sat Jun 18, 2011 5:44 pm

Got the LS1 put back together today, it has been a long day with a steep learning curve (never worked on one before). I took my time and double checked everything.

Tomorrow I start the "fit check" and install into the engine bay.

I think I'm done for the day, I need some Ibuprofen!
Lemming

Back to top Go down

Post  Lemming on Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:02 pm

Busy day in the garage today. Picked up the headers this morning, tack welded only until checked for fit, luckily they fit really well. The only real issue is with the dual master cylinder hitting the drivers side valve cover. I'm going to try to move the master cylinder over 1/2" to clear the valve cover. Even with this I will need to relocate the #5 and 7 coil packs (suggestions welcomed).

I should mention that at this point I have not used spacers on the cross member. Lowering 1/2" may help slightly with the DMS, but not the coil packs. Top of the throttle body sits right where I have the large duct and will work as is without lowering. Not sure at this point if I will lower or not.

I'm happy with the progress that was made today.

Lemming

Back to top Go down

Post  acorad on Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:33 am

Great stuff, keep it coming!
acorad

Back to top Go down

Post  Lemming on Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:55 am

Looks like I'm going to be delayed by Canton. I need a Canton 22-630 to run my remote oil filter and cooler lines and they are now saying they will not be ready to ship until 7/7 Mad Eric pointed to another adapter above, but I don't think that is going to work on my LS1 pan, the mounting points don't look correct. Any ideas, I have a race on July 9 and 10 and without the adapter, I'm screwed Sad
Lemming

Back to top Go down

Post  Dawgz83948 on Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:57 am

Lemming wrote:Looks like I'm going to be delayed by Canton. I need a Canton 22-630 to run my remote oil filter and cooler lines and they are now saying they will not be ready to ship until 7/7 Mad Eric pointed to another adapter above, but I don't think that is going to work on my LS1 pan, the mounting points don't look correct. Any ideas, I have a race on July 9 and 10 and without the adapter, I'm screwed Sad

Can you source a different pan with A/N fitting sooner and sell your current pan?
Dawgz83948

Back to top Go down

Post  944-LT1 on Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:34 am

Lemming wrote:Picked up the headers this morning, tack welded only until checked for fit, luckily they fit really well. The only real issue is with the dual master cylinder hitting the drivers side valve cover. I'm going to try to move the master cylinder over 1/2" to clear the valve cover. Even with this I will need to relocate the #5 and 7 coil packs (suggestions welcomed).

I should mention that at this point I have not used spacers on the cross member. Lowering 1/2" may help slightly with the DMS, but not the coil packs. Top of the throttle body sits right where I have the large duct and will work as is without lowering. Not sure at this point if I will lower or not.

Dont full weld the headers until you know that they will clear WITH a 1/2" x-member drop. It seems you will (must) drop the x-member (eventually) with the conditions youve reported [valve cover to MC clearance]. Heres why; Im afraid that moving the master over [left?] 1/2" will require moving the brake pushrod over as well and thus the pedal. Otherwise, you may be cocking the pushrod against the pedal pivot pin [overtime wearing the bushing down and then the pin] and as well, the pushrod angle against the MC piston will lead to the pushrod bending or MC failure [I can post a picture of my old bent BMC pushrod to confirm].

Why are you against dropping 1/2"?

944-LT1

Back to top Go down

Post  Lemming on Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:19 am

Dawgz83948 wrote:
Lemming wrote:Looks like I'm going to be delayed by Canton. I need a Canton 22-630 to run my remote oil filter and cooler lines and they are now saying they will not be ready to ship until 7/7 Mad Eric pointed to another adapter above, but I don't think that is going to work on my LS1 pan, the mounting points don't look correct. Any ideas, I have a race on July 9 and 10 and without the adapter, I'm screwed Sad

Can you source a different pan with A/N fitting sooner and sell your current pan?

I could, but that will likely increase cost. Build is already over budget as you might guess.
Lemming

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 22 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 12 ... 22  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top