HOW TO DO AN ADVANCED SEARCH.

Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:56 pm by Admin

For the benefit of 944Hybrids users there are two search functions available for you to use.
The purpose of this sticky is to explain the "Advanced Search" function because it is much more powerful and is the best choice when researching information.

When you log on to the site a list of options is shown in a line at the top of the page. One option is labelled "Search", use this option (NOT the search box lower down on the right).

After you click on the upper search option, a drop down box appears. At the bottom of this box is a radio button marked "Advanced …

Comments: 0

Latest topics
» Which turbo trans for my swap application?
Yesterday at 8:10 pm by racertomtom

» Poly based strut mounts on exchange
Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:16 pm by xschop

» 18x10" Enkei wheels
Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:59 pm by Sterling Doc

» Around the block
Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:46 am by Red944ls1

» RX7 Caliper Swap
Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:13 am by osx86ftw

» Cooling solutions please!
Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:15 pm by yamamtx

» Holley intake, vacuum pump and cross member spacer
Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:33 am by zeusrotty

» Sparkydog's Abnormal Build - 944 With L67 + Ford Stuff & CARB Legal
Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:42 pm by sparkydog

» LSA Supercharged 86 Porsche 944
Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:41 am by haroldk

» Coolant / header tank cap
Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:56 pm by Arthropraxis

August 2017
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

I forgot my password

Uprights too short?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Uprights too short?

Post  Schuepbach on Sun May 22, 2011 9:32 pm

I dropped the motor in today and noticed clearance issues with the X-member. Knowing there would have to be grinding I did the best I could to clear it but its not happening.

I have the RH kit and the passenger side oil pan is hitting on the xmember right above the mounting point for the steering rack. I ground down as much as i could before cutting into the threads and it still hits. I could either let the motor sit on the x member or maybe washer the uprights so the motor will sit a bit higher.

Anyone have any help on this or experience the same thing?

Also how on earth do you tighten the bottom bellhousing bolts, I can't get anything in there.

Update: Talked to RH, they said to use fender washers and bump it up a bit...so I will try that

Last edited by Schuepbach on Mon May 23, 2011 1:39 pm; edited 2 times in total

Schuepbach

Back to top Go down

Re: Uprights too short?

Post  cfgioja on Mon May 23, 2011 5:41 am

I have experience with renegades setup, go to the 12th page of my conversion thread and it will show you what I did to my RH oil pan to get it to fit. It really sucks to have to do it to an expensive kit but thats what I get for buying from them.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

As far as the lower bellhousing bolts, I had to get a shorty 17mm open box wrench and turn the bolts a little at a time. If you have to mess with the trans at all, it is easier to un bolt the two bolts holding the trans cross brace up from the wheel wells and allow the whole assembly to slide forward that little bit and it will give you just enough clearance.
cfgioja

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuepbach on Mon May 23, 2011 7:55 am

I knew I shouldn't have put the transmission in first Laughing

I like your setup with the pan, but to be honest I really don't want to pull the pan. It will be a last resort type issue for me. I think if i can get some washers made and place them inbetween the upright and the xmember raising the motor just a hair, it will clear.

I'm going to call RH and see if they have any opinion on this. Sadly i bought the kit second hand(the guy wanted to do the swap on his car, but had money problems, the kit was brand new, never installed) so I'm afraid RH will use that against me. But in the end its their product, it should work.

Schuepbach

Back to top Go down

Post  spence on Mon May 23, 2011 9:11 am

If you raise those uprights anymore then your going to have hood clearance issues. I think the only choice you have is to remove the pan and make the necessary modifications. It will be easier in the end!
spence

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuepbach on Mon May 23, 2011 9:21 am

Well if the uprights are too short to begin w/ then there shouldn't be much of an issue with the hood.

I think i'm looking at maybe 3/8" of clearance here to get to fit. Also looking at the oil pan modification and at TPC's oil pan, the clearance mod is only done on the driver side because the pickup tube is on the passenger side. My clearance issue is on the passenger side, so there really isnt much room to play with.

Schuepbach

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuepbach on Tue May 24, 2011 9:10 pm

Alright well I added 4 fender washers (about 0.21") to raise the motor and it barely clears now, but not nearly enough. RH seems happy to help so hopefully they can come up w/ a solution. Here are some pictures I took tonight.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Schuepbach

Back to top Go down

Post  Porch on Tue May 24, 2011 10:07 pm

Oh wow, that's bad!! My RH uprights were a little short, but yours is just ridiculous...
Porch

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuepbach on Tue May 24, 2011 10:14 pm

ya and now if the motor goes up anymore i'm starting to fear hood clearance issues

Schuepbach

Back to top Go down

Post  xschop on Tue May 24, 2011 11:07 pm

Not only your uprights, but that oilpan looks strange....as in too tall along the crank/windage tray..... Tell Renegade to contact TPC for a proper pan LOL Razz
xschop

Back to top Go down

Post  944-LT1 on Tue May 24, 2011 11:19 pm

I think I may see your problem.

This first picture, notice that the drivers side bottom of oil pan (big red arrow) is well below the x-member. Also note the center line of the x-member to the center line of the engine.

Then notice the top of the engine plane from valve cover to valve cover compared to the plane of the firewall.

It appears as though the engine has not been set level yet. With the engine on the uprights, it is quite easy to tilt the engine either direction. Grab a level and try to get the center of the engine lined up center with the x-member. This will allow the passengers side bottom of the oil pan to clear the steering rack boss.

944-LT1

Back to top Go down

Post  944-LT1 on Tue May 24, 2011 11:27 pm

Also beware that if you still have the original transmission mount, there is quite a bit of fore/aft movement possible. If the rear of the car is jacked up, the engine will slouch forward causing gray hairs when positioning the engine (and headers).

The fact that the entire drivetrain is bolted to the car via the uprights and a rubber tranny mount allows alot of movement in all directions when the uprights are loose. Keep an eye on the "crash" tabs on the torque tube and torsion tube. If they are touching, the drivetrain has slouched too far forward...if they are far apart, the drivetrain has slouched to the rear (youll notice this when the rear of the transmission is touching the spare wheel well).

944-LT1

Back to top Go down

Post  robstah on Wed May 25, 2011 3:18 am

Hmmm. Where did you get those setback plates? They look a bit thick.

robstah

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuepbach on Wed May 25, 2011 7:41 am

944-LT1, I noticed the engine was tilted a bit as well, I can try to adjust it some and didn't know there was that much play with the uprights. Currently the transmission is on, but the halfshafts are out, and the rear of the car is on ramps. I like your idea of wiggling the motor a bit to have it set properly, and for a while it was tilted because it kept resting on the boss. But you also have to realize those pictures were taken w/ the washers in place, at the moment I barely have enough thread left to tighten the uprights to the xmember.

Also is the bottom of the rear of the pan supposed to be above or below the xmember? Without my washers, that part of the pan sits well bellow the xmember.

I will try to work on the car some tonight after work, but I think i need to take a quick break and clear my head for a night. I really wanted to get this car done by the weekend so I can bring it to TPC and have them do the wiring/hydroboost/cooler plumbing.

Robstah: the plates are from RH as well

Schuepbach

Back to top Go down

Post  944-LT1 on Wed May 25, 2011 8:07 am

Schuepbach wrote:those pictures were taken w/ the washers in place, at the moment I barely have enough thread left to tighten the uprights to the xmember.
I had the same type of situation. Start by making sure the car is on level ground and settled. I used a floor jack and 2x4 under the flat part of the bellhousing (with the inspection cover off of course). This levels it pretty close and allows you to move the engine a bit side to side.

Also is the bottom of the rear of the pan supposed to be above or below the xmember? Without my washers, that part of the pan sits well bellow the xmember.
The bottom of my sump is below the x-member by roughly a 1/2-3/4".

The plates do look way too thick. Mine are 5/16". Being that thick, they seem to negate the 1/2" x-member spacers. But, maybe theyll work.

Go get 'em! Very Happy

944-LT1

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuepbach on Wed May 25, 2011 8:24 am

I'll try this w/o the spacers and see what happens. I also think I need to grind more of the xmember off by the header because it keeps touching as well. I will prob just lower the front end onto ramps as well, that way i can work underneath and still have it settle.

I'm curious to see what RH says too.

Schuepbach

Back to top Go down

Post  944-LT1 on Wed May 25, 2011 12:29 pm

Schuepbach wrote: I also think I need to grind more of the xmember off by the header because it keeps touching as well.

I'm curious to see what RH says too.

You may want to get the engine where it needs tobe before further modifications to the x-member. You might find that afterwards, the headers will clear. If you mean that little nub on the passengers side, yeah, I cut that off too.

In regards to RH..... I found out a long time ago that without a transaction in progress (and I mean even nanoseconds after they have my money) they have a very little attention span for my problems. Rolling Eyes

944-LT1

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuepbach on Wed May 25, 2011 2:14 pm

So i talked to RH and they pretty much said the same thing. Try to straighten out the motor assembly. I guess its time to invest in a load leveler for the cherry picker. I feel that may make life a bit easier.

Schuepbach

Back to top Go down

Post  robstah on Wed May 25, 2011 2:38 pm

Schuepbach wrote:So i talked to RH and they pretty much said the same thing. Try to straighten out the motor assembly. I guess its time to invest in a load leveler for the cherry picker. I feel that may make life a bit easier.

A load leveler won't help once the motor is set on the mounts. When I was making adjustments, I would unbolt the mounts at the crossmember and raise the motor by a couple of inches. From there, you would need to try and adjust the mounts in the air and or adjust your spacers per side and then sit the motor back down. Rinse and repeat.

I will say that this sucker was worth its weight in gold though:

robstah

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuepbach on Thu May 26, 2011 9:01 pm

so after trying once again, but this time listening to you guys and RH(who was very helpful btw) I realized what I did wrong. I put the uprights on the motor first and then had it sit on the xmember. Instead this time I tightened the uprights to the xmember and lowered the motor onto it. The result is a million times better, sometimes its the obvious answer that I always overlook. Thanks for all your helps guys!!

Schuepbach

Back to top Go down

Post  robstah on Thu May 26, 2011 9:29 pm

Hmmm, sounds like the mounts were just tweaked. When I dropped mine in, I made sure that the nuts/bolts on the upright were loose. Plus, aiming for a 1/2 slot vs. a wide upright is a lot easier, especially with only one person.

*Waits for inserting into hole jokes*

robstah

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuepbach on Thu May 26, 2011 10:32 pm

I just hope the PS rack fits now

Schuepbach

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top