HOW TO DO AN ADVANCED SEARCH.

Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:56 pm by Admin

For the benefit of 944Hybrids users there are two search functions available for you to use.
The purpose of this sticky is to explain the "Advanced Search" function because it is much more powerful and is the best choice when researching information.

When you log on to the site a list of options is shown in a line at the top of the page. One option is labelled "Search", use this option (NOT the search box lower down on the right).

After you click on the upper search option, a drop down box appears. At the bottom of this box is a radio button marked "Advanced …

Comments: 0

Latest topics
» WRL Race car for sale - '87 924S with LS swap
Today at 8:29 am by cscowden

» New convert under way
Yesterday at 3:39 pm by kevin924kevin

»  A/C questions
Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:08 pm by Arthropraxis

» Corvette C6 Z06 Brake Caliper Adapters
Sat Sep 16, 2017 6:08 pm by superman22x

» Cayenne Front and Rear Brakes on 944
Sat Sep 16, 2017 6:00 pm by superman22x

» Parting out 944 Turbo with LS1
Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:14 am by rfreundt

» 944 LS1 race car part out
Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:00 am by rfreundt

» Steering shaft short
Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:11 pm by racertomtom

» Steering rack clearance
Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:32 pm by Hotrodz of Dallas

» What Intake Elbow to Use ?
Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:30 pm by remaxagent33

September 2017
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

I forgot my password

I broke my car

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

I broke my car

Post  acorad on Mon May 02, 2011 11:46 am

I was running around doing errands yesterday in my car and it came home on a flatbed.

I was in first gear, maybe 2000 rpms & 5% throttle, and I heard a clank and my engine was no longer connected to the drivetrain.

I haven't had any time to do more than park it in my garage, so I haven't figured out what broke yet, but the clank seemed to come from somewhere under the car but not in the back, so I'm guessing either the clutch or the driveshaft broke.

The good news is I bought a used car lift a couple weeks ago and will install it in my shop when I get some time. I've got a pretty long laundry list of things I want to do while the car's up in the air.

And I REALLY need to install one of those tow rings in the grill...
acorad

Back to top Go down

Re: I broke my car

Post  Arthropraxis on Mon May 02, 2011 12:09 pm

Sorry, to hear that. By the time you get finished you will have restored a conversion.
Arthropraxis

Back to top Go down

Post  acorad on Mon May 02, 2011 12:36 pm

Thanks Anthro, it's all good. I was planning on digging pretty deep into the drivetrain anyway - new clutch, FW, TT bearings, taller 5th gear set, rear suspension, etc. - and this just moves my start date up a little sooner. I am interested to see what broke...
acorad

Back to top Go down

Post  944-LT1 on Mon May 02, 2011 12:50 pm

Shocked

I had a TT driveshaft break on me....With the NA 4 cylinder. Laughing

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
944-LT1

Back to top Go down

Post  acorad on Mon May 02, 2011 1:05 pm

944-LT1 wrote: Shocked

I had a TT driveshaft break on me....With the NA 4 cylinder. Laughing
Yes, this is what I'm thinking probably happened.

My TT bearings are pretty loud, not sure if that has anything to do with the driveshaft breaking or not.

Weird that it went out at such low stress, though. Unless there was a crack propagating through the shaft.

Also there was also a fairly strong drivetrain vibration that I discussed in another thread that may have had something to do with it - if the FW/clutch was out of balance and/or the driveshaft wasn't completely inserted into the pilot bearing or something and the FW was oscillating around, that would put a lot of stress on the driveshaft, I assume right where the shaft meets the first TT bearing.

Oh well, I guess I'll find out for sure when I take it apart!
acorad

Back to top Go down

Post  cfgioja on Mon May 02, 2011 2:11 pm

I had something similar happened to my first build. After letting it sit for a few months before getting to it, I found out that the cv axle bolts had worked themselves loose disconnecting the shaft to disconnect from the trans. With the open dif it just spun that one side around making me think the drivetrain was shot because it would not run.
cfgioja

Back to top Go down

Post  acorad on Mon May 02, 2011 2:29 pm

Thanks cfg, I did just replace a CV joint not too long ago, and I was actually hoping that what you describe was what happened, that the bolts I put in backed themselves out (considering the alternatives are far worse), but when I briefly looked under the car when this whole thing happened the axles looked like they were in the right places and when I rolled the car into a parking lot there was no binding or unusual noises from the rear, so it doesn't look too promising...
acorad

Back to top Go down

Post  Dawgz83948 on Mon May 02, 2011 4:11 pm

acorad wrote:Thanks cfg, I did just replace a CV joint not too long ago, and I was actually hoping that what you describe was what happened, that the bolts I put in backed themselves out (considering the alternatives are far worse), but when I briefly looked under the car when this whole thing happened the axles looked like they were in the right places and when I rolled the car into a parking lot there was no binding or unusual noises from the rear, so it doesn't look too promising...

Check the trans coupler.
Dawgz83948

Back to top Go down

Post  acorad on Mon May 02, 2011 4:30 pm

Dawgz83948 wrote:Check the trans coupler.
Huh, interesting. And that's something I can fairly easily check by popping off the rubber cover from the bottom of the trans bellhousing?
acorad

Back to top Go down

Post  acorad on Mon May 02, 2011 7:04 pm

cfgioja wrote:I had something similar happened to my first build. After letting it sit for a few months before getting to it, I found out that the cv axle bolts had worked themselves loose disconnecting the shaft to disconnect from the trans. With the open dif it just spun that one side around making me think the drivetrain was shot because it would not run.
Well, it looks like cfg nailed it!

I got under the car just now and all 6 of the CV bolts on the outer/wheel end of the new axle I put in a few weeks ago have backed out and the axle is very loose at the wheel. Which is weird because I used Loctite on each bolt. Anyway, I don't have the tools at home right now to re-install the bolts, but I'm hoping that's the problem.

Thanks cfg!
acorad

Back to top Go down

Post  laptop_geek on Mon May 02, 2011 8:30 pm

acorad wrote:
cfgioja wrote:I had something similar happened to my first build. After letting it sit for a few months before getting to it, I found out that the cv axle bolts had worked themselves loose disconnecting the shaft to disconnect from the trans. With the open dif it just spun that one side around making me think the drivetrain was shot because it would not run.
Well, it looks like cfg nailed it!

I got under the car just now and all 6 of the CV bolts on the outer/wheel end of the new axle I put in a few weeks ago have backed out and the axle is very loose at the wheel. Which is weird because I used Loctite on each bolt. Anyway, I don't have the tools at home right now to re-install the bolts, but I'm hoping that's the problem.

Thanks cfg!

Thats great that you got that figured out.

Your going to fall in love with that lift, they're awesome.
laptop_geek

Back to top Go down

Post  kelleysj on Tue May 03, 2011 5:19 am

The very same thing happen to me a few years ago. Glad it was not your torque tube.
kelleysj

Back to top Go down

Post  acorad on Tue May 03, 2011 1:07 pm

Thanks guys, I haven't had time to get back under the car yet, but this time I'll use a brand new tube of Loctite!
acorad

Back to top Go down

Post  Porch on Tue May 03, 2011 3:06 pm

If you've got the money, it would be a good time to purchase the Stage 8 locking CV bolts that have been for sale on rennlist for a while. They're about $80, but you'll never have to mess with 'em again!
Porch

Back to top Go down

Post  acorad on Tue May 03, 2011 3:56 pm

Porch wrote:If you've got the money, it would be a good time to purchase the Stage 8 locking CV bolts that have been for sale on rennlist for a while. They're about $80, but you'll never have to mess with 'em again!
Thanks! But I don't see any current group buys, is there a vendor somewhere that has them in stock? Or am I missing something on Rennlist?
acorad

Back to top Go down

URL of Rennlist group buy

Post  fliermike45 on Tue May 03, 2011 7:17 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Rennlist group buy.

fliermike45

Back to top Go down

Post  acorad on Tue May 03, 2011 7:58 pm

Thanks Mike. I called Dan (Ideloa) and his voicemail says he's out of the country and out of communication until mid-May, so apparently there's no one to run the biz while he's gone.

I will call Stage8 directly tomorrow.
acorad

Back to top Go down

Post  acorad on Wed May 04, 2011 12:34 pm

So one of the bolts sheared off and about 3/8" of it remains in the wheel hub. It's kind of smooshed over on one side from the torque when it broke off, and does not want to come out. I was able to get a pair of vice grips on the little piece that's protruding it but it didn't budge at all.

I was thinking of trying to use my grinder and a cut-off wheel to try to cut a slot in the protruding part of the bolt so I can get a flat-head screwdriver on it, but I think it's probably too close to the side wall of the hub and I won't be able to get the cut-off wheel on the bolt.

Any other ideas?
acorad

Back to top Go down

Post  spence on Wed May 04, 2011 12:48 pm

You could try an easy out... Although there's nothing easy about it... lol
spence

Back to top Go down

Post  acorad on Wed May 04, 2011 12:55 pm

Thanks, every time I've used an easy-out the easy-out bit broke leaving a screw/bolt with an easy-out bit tip screwed into the middle of it. I really don't like those things.
acorad

Back to top Go down

Post  spence on Wed May 04, 2011 12:57 pm

Ya, those things give me nightmears... Worst case; take the whole hub to the machine shop and let them remove it.
spence

Back to top Go down

Post  xschop on Wed May 04, 2011 1:03 pm

That's because you used a cheap easy out...AKA chinese made. If lock-tite was used, you need to heat the bolt with a portable MAPP gas and clean the grease off thoroughly FIRST. Also make sure you drill all the way thru the busted bolt part if you can and leave only about 1.5mm thick/per side of the bolt. This will alleviate the internal pressure holding the bolt head in the hub.
xschop

Back to top Go down

Post  Porch on Wed May 04, 2011 1:06 pm

My old car had one of those broken off in it when i bought it. They actually come out pretty easily once you get them started--lots of grease in that area to keep them from seizing up Smile

I would recommend an easy-out as well. It sounds like you usually use the small ones...drill the hole out a little bigger (almost to the threads) and try with a bigger one. Much less likely to snap that way.

You could also try drilling out the section with a really big drill bit. It would chew off the smeared bolt and maybe an insignificant amount of the threading on the hub.

Other than that, your only real option is to disassemble the hub which is a huge PITA. It requires replacing the wheel bearing, and a big nasty impact gun is usually required to get the hub nut off.
Porch

Back to top Go down

Post  acorad on Wed May 04, 2011 1:17 pm

Thanks guys. Not sure if the easy-outs I've used in the past were made in China, I never thought to look.

I'm thinking it's the smooshed-over part of the bolt that's causing binding.

Maybe I can use a big drill bit and drill off the smooshed-over part just leaving the clean shaft of the bolt that's within the hole, which should then be pretty easy to remove.

Or maybe a nut can be tack welded onto the piece that's protruding and I could get a wrench on it?
acorad

Back to top Go down

Post  spence on Wed May 04, 2011 3:05 pm

Did you try a hammer and an old chisel to try and bend the bolt back? How much of the bolt is actually digging into the hub? If there's just a little digging in, try tapping it where its digging in and see it that frees up the bolt. You then might be able to remove it with vice grips.
spence

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top