HOW TO DO AN ADVANCED SEARCH.

Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:56 pm by Admin

For the benefit of 944Hybrids users there are two search functions available for you to use.
The purpose of this sticky is to explain the "Advanced Search" function because it is much more powerful and is the best choice when researching information.

When you log on to the site a list of options is shown in a line at the top of the page. One option is labelled "Search", use this option (NOT the search box lower down on the right).

After you click on the upper search option, a drop down box appears. At the bottom of this box is a radio button marked "Advanced …

Comments: 0

Similar topics
    Latest topics
    » Early offset phone dial
    Yesterday at 10:45 am by GarethW

» 1987 944 Turbo --> LS
    Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:25 am by chrenan

» Oil Cooler Adapter Not Working?
    Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:32 pm by sharkey

» 1987 944S 3800 L67 Turbo...in progress
    Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:08 pm by Sirayden

» C6 Z06 Brakes on my 944
    Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:25 am by Schuepbach

» sbc swap in a 1981 924
    Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:28 pm by sharkey

» JP's LS1 Conversion
    Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:42 pm by 924sbc406

» Cayenne Front and Rear Brakes on 944
    Sun Oct 08, 2017 4:15 pm by superman22x

» Scca Xp solo build
    Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:55 pm by yamamtx

» Steering rack clearance
    Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:14 am by remaxagent33

October 2017
    MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

I forgot my password

Carburated LS1... who's done it?

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Carburated LS1... who's done it?

Post  robstah on Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:08 pm

a951 wrote:I just dont get the carb fetish, I just bought a 1969 camaro RS with procharged bigblock, its SO getting efi done to it when I get the money. the milage is INSANE in a bad way. it used to run 1050 dominiator, down to 950's now.. but still.

It's age vs. refusal to accept and understand new technologies. That's all it really comes down to.

robstah

Back to top Go down

Post  89VWdieselGolf on Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:46 pm

spence wrote:
    89VWdieselGolf wrote:haha thanks man!

I still want the phone number to these places selling 5.3L's for $100.... i searched car-part.com and the cheapest i found across Canada was $600

Hey man! I thought you disappeared! When I first decided to do the swap; I realized how overpriced every engine was in Canada. I was going to use a truck engine; then I found a complete low KM LT1 from a Camaro with all the wiring, accesories, msd distributor, msd ignition and hypertech power programer for 1000$ on KIJIJI.ca. I would just keep your eye out for something on there. The wiring really isn't a big deal, I was able to do it in one weekend. Just take your time and triple check everything you do. My car should be ready in the beginning of the summer. If I get it so it's drivable, I can stop by since your only 20mins from me. I can't wait to drive it!

Spencer

Hey man,

Nope havent dissapeared... just got married and bought a house over the winter.... Trying to get back on track with this project.

I'm ALWAYS on Kijiji looking but the BEST deal i found was an LS1 with LS6 intake for $1500.

I definitely want to see your car once its done.

-Jeff
    89VWdieselGolf

Back to top Go down

Post  robstah on Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:22 pm

89VWdieselGolf wrote:
    Hey man,

Nope havent dissapeared... just got married and bought a house over the winter.... Trying to get back on track with this project.

I'm ALWAYS on Kijiji looking but the BEST deal i found was an LS1 with LS6 intake for $1500.

I definitely want to see your car once its done.

-Jeff

You found an LS1 with an LS6 intake for 1500 and you did NOT jump on it?

robstah

Back to top Go down

Post  89VWdieselGolf on Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:26 pm

Laughing haha, it was either that or the car... so i bought my 944
    89VWdieselGolf

Back to top Go down

Post  robstah on Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:34 pm

89VWdieselGolf wrote: Laughing haha, it was either that or the car... so i bought my 944

Gotcha. Things like this is all about timing. Just got to play it... cool. Cool

robstah

Back to top Go down

Post  Wild Bill on Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:47 pm

I just check Kijiji and Bargain finder, usedEdmonton.ca from time to time. I don't really need another engine at this time either although there have been some decent deals in the last 6 months. I still have a BBC block sitting on the shelf I would like to put together for my boats so I could end up with a spare (the weakest engine) however can't justify just yet. That was a good deal.. $300 and he started filling my truck with other stuff he wanted to get rid of. I''m $400 up on that deal and still have the block, 1 set of heads and some other parts! Doesn't cost me anything to look... However I have projects to finish!

The SBC I put in my 944 was $250 and was fresh! Guy did a trip to Kamloops and back, cracked an exhaust seat, got ticked off and put in a new 383 and 700R4 into his '68 camaro. I sold the tall valve covers and Edelbrock intake for $180.
    Wild Bill

Back to top Go down

Post  stuart f. wright on Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:55 am

89VWdieselGolf wrote:I've seen a 924 with a carb'd SBC, and i think 1 944 on youtube but i'd like to see some more pics of it done.

I'm seriously concidering going carb to keep cost/wiring down.

I know a cowl/scoop would have to be added to the hood.

Let's see whats out there.

Thanks
    hod rod magazine did a test here a while back of a comparison between fuel injected and carbed ls1 on a engine dyno a if i remember right the carb motor made some serious power like 530 hp it was in febuary 2005 issue of hot rod it lists the part numbers and whats needed for the swap ive thought about trying it out myself .by the way i have a carbed sbc making at least 500 hp in my 86 and i drive it all the time gas milage not bad on the highway but around town it sucks it down.i just got my speedo working again so ill check my milage and post.im using a 6in harwood scoop from jegs .i love my carb its simple and haslle free and makes gobs of power with my big roller cam.and i have nos.i used it once and went sidways for 100 feet before i shut it down inches from a large ditch
    stuart f. wright

Back to top Go down

Post  a951 on Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:35 am

there is just no way to make more power with carbs, over injection, atomization, control etc is just SO much better. of course if you let the average joe yank that is very good at carbs, but crap at efi, map them both.. then.. well. yeah.

a951

Back to top Go down

Post  stuart f. wright on Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:13 am

a951 wrote:there is just no way to make more power with carbs, over injection, atomization, control etc is just SO much better. of course if you let the average joe yank that is very good at carbs, but crap at efi, map them both.. then.. well. yeah.
    where did i make any comparison between the two in my statement and not the average joe knows how to tune a carb or a fuel injected setup .i didnt plan on getting into a debate over the two. any average joe knows fuel injections efficency is far supierior to a carb .but the carbs economical factor and simplicity can make it easier for the average joe to install in a project.and in the hands of a proper carb tuner such as my self can make some serious power that is affordable.fuel injection is starting to get more economicaly affordable for the average joe but the carb is still cheaper and can make alot of power in the right hands.i have a supercharged 2011 camaro with fuel injection and its incredible.insane scary fast.but so is my nos assited carbed 944 .all i was doing was answering the original post carbed ls1 has anyone done it.as for a carbed motor making more power than fuel injection its been done and proven on a dyno.go check out some alcohol sprint car motors with carbs.its an argument that your debating with out any facts .fuel injections fuel saving benifits are far superior to a carb but comparing power output is open to debate .on another post of course as you are veering off the original post then.. well...yeah
    stuart f. wright

Back to top Go down

Post  89VWdieselGolf on Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:51 am

stuart,

Do you have any pics of your cowl hood?
    89VWdieselGolf

Back to top Go down

Post  Porch on Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:56 am

suboptimalfit wrote:Hey 89, carbs RULE! Don't fall into the trap of injection... There is nothing better for visual assault than a ancient piece of potmetal sitting proudly atop that manifold. Take your injection and give it to someone who wants all the headaches of expensive sensors that fail and such fun and games. I roll my eyes every time i read about "electrical issues"... and don't tell me how great injection is-I'm not drinking any more Kool-Aid.
    DO THE CARB! Long live the metered fuel leak! Twisted Evil
    Yeah! Don't fall into the hype! Gas mileage and power under the curve are for sissies!

Same with those new halogen bulbs, and computers! It's all the man trying to tell you what you need!

Razz
    Porch

Back to top Go down

Post  suboptimalfit on Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:30 am

The man has already brainwashed the weak already. That's why WE are on here, RIGHT??? Very Happy

suboptimalfit

Back to top Go down

Post  stuart f. wright on Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:56 pm

if you go into my gallery or look at my profile pic you can see my hood scoop.they have different heights you can get and got mine from jegs .i use the 6in with elderbrock intake and elderbrock carb and pro flo elderbrock air cleaner and have enough room to shut hood and provide adequete air flo.the carb ls setup will probaly be about the same height as a sbc like im using.im getting mine redi to paint right now .i used a stock hood and rivited fiberglass scoop to the hood.my hood is hinged and use hood pins on front.i am bonding the hood scoop with body panel glue and rivets to give it a pernament bond with out cracking.the glue is a two part epoxy called fusion and makes a pernament bond.then i am going to smooth it on top with body filler.the scoop in my opinion looks pretty good on the car and still gives you a fairly good field of vision out the windshield and the price is right.i already had a stock hood or i would have purchased a flat fiberglass hood and added the scoop.another plus to the hood scoop it adds a place for underhood air temprature reduction.as its hard to direct air flow from underneath the car due to the low ground clearance and areodynamics.a problem with a lot of low to the ground sports cars.
    stuart f. wright

Back to top Go down

Ls1 carb

Post  luginbuhlj on Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:20 am

The carb kit makes 80 more hp than stock ls1 set up.. its been proven and the cost to do it has fallen considerably in the last year. I just got an ls1 for $400 w/o the harness or ecu so its in my best interest to go with a carb set up. the extra 1k bucks I saved Ill have one badass unique motor in my 944. Ill be uploading pictures in following weeks Cool
    luginbuhlj

Back to top Go down

Post  spence on Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:32 am

What are you going to do for a hood? The hood barley closes as is....
    spence

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:30 pm

Saw Zall Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing !!!!!!

Admin
    Admin
    Admin

http://www.TexasPerformanceConcepts.com

Back to top Go down

Post  spence on Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:35 pm

git r done.... Twisted Evil

Something to think about though... the 1000 you think you're saving is going to have to be put into paint and body work if you go with a carb.
    spence

Back to top Go down

Post  xschop on Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:44 pm

....and GAS too Shocked
    xschop

Back to top Go down

Post  stuart f. wright on Thu Dec 08, 2011 7:22 pm

i used my plasma cutter on my hood .carb works great im fixing on putting a rear mount turbo on .im probaly going with the fast self learning efi i hear they work pretty good it mounts on a 4barrel intake carb setup definitly saved me some dough.im gonna try carb with turbo but if it dont work out on tuning im going to efi .
    stuart f. wright

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top