944Hybrids: 924/944/968 and 928 V8 Conversions
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
HOW TO DO AN ADVANCED SEARCH.

Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:56 pm by Admin

For the benefit of 944Hybrids users there are two search functions available for you to use.
The purpose of this sticky is to explain the "Advanced Search" function because it is much more powerful and is the best choice when researching information.

When you log on to the site a list of options is shown in a line at the top of the page. One option is labelled "Search", use this option (NOT the search box lower down on the right).

After you click on the upper search option, a drop down box appears. At the bottom of this box is a radio button marked "Advanced …

Comments: 0

Latest topics
» Fesler Saratoga Top
A/C help needed - Page 3 EmptyMon Apr 15, 2024 7:28 pm by JW1970

» Ray's 1987 944 LS1 Build & Swap
A/C help needed - Page 3 EmptyMon Apr 15, 2024 6:59 pm by JW1970

» LS 982 5speed project here
A/C help needed - Page 3 EmptyMon Apr 15, 2024 9:51 am by Raymond-P

» LT1 Spark Plug make and model
A/C help needed - Page 3 EmptyFri Apr 12, 2024 3:07 pm by Rob44

» 928 5-speed kit
A/C help needed - Page 3 EmptyWed Apr 10, 2024 10:09 pm by LS982

» HYDRAULIC THROWOUT/RELEASE BEARING NOT ENGAGING FULLY
A/C help needed - Page 3 EmptyTue Apr 09, 2024 8:45 am by gwistrup

» Slave Cylinder Spacing from Clutch Fingers
A/C help needed - Page 3 EmptyTue Apr 09, 2024 1:54 am by lowform

» WANTED: 948 Conversion Manual
A/C help needed - Page 3 EmptyMon Apr 08, 2024 1:52 pm by Elskeptico

» FS 1989 Transmission for 944
A/C help needed - Page 3 EmptyTue Apr 02, 2024 10:02 am by 87roadracer

» Honda k24 swap
A/C help needed - Page 3 EmptyTue Apr 02, 2024 6:00 am by 89EFhatch

April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

I forgot my password

A/C help needed

+11
Porch
spence
944convert
v8carreragts
Dawgz83948
Marky522
Bridar
87-944S
fliermike45
Arthropraxis
acorad
15 posters

Page 3 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

A/C help needed - Page 3 Empty Re: A/C help needed

Post  acorad Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:39 pm

In the top picture I assume that inline filter is on the suction side just before the compressor?

What is that yellow thing T'd off just before that filter?

In the bottom picture is that red thing some kind of relief valve?

87-944S wrote:Here's some pics, the cylinder with blue ends is an inline filter with compression fittings.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
acorad
acorad

Back to top Go down

Post  Dawgz83948 Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:41 pm

acorad wrote:In the top picture I assume that inline filter is on the suction side just before the compressor?

What is that yellow thing T'd off just before that filter?

In the bottom picture is that red thing some kind of relief valve?

87-944S wrote:Here's some pics, the cylinder with blue ends is an inline filter with compression fittings.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Yellow one is probably the high pressure switch. The red one is the service port for filling, draining or checking the A/C System. red is typically high pressure side Blue Low Pressure side.
Dawgz83948
Dawgz83948

Back to top Go down

Post  acorad Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:53 pm

Thanks Dawg, I'm using the existing Porsche drier, and I believe it has a high pressure switch so I guess I don't need to put a second one in.

I assume that in-line filter is a good idea to install.

I wonder if there's a more accessable place to put the service port...

acorad
acorad

Back to top Go down

Post  acorad Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:06 pm

acorad wrote:In the top picture I assume that inline filter is on the suction side just before the compressor?
What I've been reading is that an inline filter should be installed in the liquid line after the condensor and before the evaporator.
acorad
acorad

Back to top Go down

Post  v8carreragts Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:33 pm

Normally an additional filter is installed if you burn the compressor out. This goes in the suction line. It keeps any floating particles from destroying the new compressor.

In commercial and industrial systems, refrigerators and air conditioners you put a small filter/drier in the liquid line. This is done to trap any small particles that got in the system during assembly to keep them from getting into the expansion device. Small systems like refrigerators and window air conditioners use a cap tube (very small diameter tubing) as an expansion device and these especially can get plugged from debris from assembly.

Cars use filter/driers for the purpose of removing small amounts of moisture and other non-condensables from the system. Cars generally do not get as high of vacuum when evacuated so they use a much larger one than you would see in most other refrigeration systems.

It is a good idea to add one if your air conditioning has been open for a long time. It is generally not necessary if you haven't driven your car with open lines or had the car with an open system in a very dusty environment.
v8carreragts
v8carreragts

Back to top Go down

Post  Arthropraxis Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:47 pm

When you get the A/C working make sure to post pictures of the hoses and fittings. I just connected the wiring to mine over the weekend.
Arthropraxis
Arthropraxis

Back to top Go down

Post  acorad Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:58 pm

V8, do you think my compressor is cleanable? Or should I buy a new one?

If it is cleanable, how should I do it?
acorad
acorad

Back to top Go down

Post  944convert Wed Jun 15, 2011 5:48 am

here's a tutorial to clean the system...

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

some good info here as well...

944convert

Back to top Go down

Post  acorad Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:01 pm

Arthropraxis wrote:When you get the A/C working make sure to post pictures of the hoses and fittings. I just connected the wiring to mine over the weekend.
Will do.
acorad
acorad

Back to top Go down

Post  acorad Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:22 pm

944convert wrote:
some good info here as well...

Thanks!

Question: When I flush my system, can the compressor be flushed too?

Answer: No, not with typical solvent flush methods. The compressor should be removed from the vehicle and the oil drained from it. You can pour refrigerant oil into the suction port and turn the compressor hub by hand which will pump clean oil through the compressor. Remember, compressors don't compress liquids. So, make sure you rotate the compressor hub by hand enough to ensure you don't liquid "slug" the compressor.
acorad
acorad

Back to top Go down

Post  acorad Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:07 pm

Arthropraxis wrote:When you get the A/C working make sure to post pictures of the hoses and fittings. I just connected the wiring to mine over the weekend.
Gotta say, the more I look at the pics of 87-944S's setup, the more I like it.
acorad
acorad

Back to top Go down

Post  Arthropraxis Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:56 pm

I think I am going to do something like that too. It will be even easier since I don't have to use the pressure port.
Arthropraxis
Arthropraxis

Back to top Go down

Post  v8carreragts Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:48 pm

If your compressor has black death, replace it. If it has just been open because of hoses not being connected, you won't have much to worry about. You just need to pour out the old oil and replace it. Do this just before you close up the system and pull a vacuum. All oil for R134a is hygroscopic. (absorbs moisture) Don't use PAG oil. The OEM does because it it cheaper but PAO is better. PAO also will not cause any problems if you have any components that had mineral oil in them. (R12 parts) PAG doesn't get along with mineral oil well.
v8carreragts
v8carreragts

Back to top Go down

Post  acorad Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:50 am

Arthropraxis wrote:I think I am going to do something like that too. It will be even easier since I don't have to use the pressure port.
Yes, there is an existing high-pressure port by the driver's shock tower. Any reason to have an additional port on the low-pressure side?
acorad
acorad

Back to top Go down

Post  acorad Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:51 am

v8carreragts wrote:If your compressor has black death, replace it. If it has just been open because of hoses not being connected, you won't have much to worry about. You just need to pour out the old oil and replace it. Do this just before you close up the system and pull a vacuum. All oil for R134a is hygroscopic. (absorbs moisture) Don't use PAG oil. The OEM does because it it cheaper but PAO is better. PAO also will not cause any problems if you have any components that had mineral oil in them. (R12 parts) PAG doesn't get along with mineral oil well.
Great info, thanks!
acorad
acorad

Back to top Go down

Post  Arthropraxis Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:57 am

The only reason to add that port is for the GM ECM. If you have the A/C and fans controlled by the Porsche system, it should not be needed.
Arthropraxis
Arthropraxis

Back to top Go down

Post  acorad Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:27 pm

Arthropraxis wrote:The only reason to add that port is for the GM ECM. If you have the A/C and fans controlled by the Porsche system, it should not be needed.
Thanks!

Since it's easiest, and seems to work fine, I guess will be using the P system for the A/C, which includes a high-pressure port & switch by the drier.

The port I mentioned in my previous post is a service port on the high-pressure side.

I think I may add a low-pressure side service port now anyway, just in case I might want/need it in the future.

The fan is controlled old-style, a relay turns the fan on and off depending on radiator temp. I hope that'll control my engine temp OK when the A/C is running.
acorad
acorad

Back to top Go down

Post  spence Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:04 pm

Sounds like you have some re-wiring in your future.... Ask Arthropraxis how he wired his fans to work with the GM ecu and porsche AC.
spence
spence

Back to top Go down

Post  acorad Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:22 pm

spence wrote:Sounds like you have some re-wiring in your future.... Ask Arthropraxis how he wired his fans to work with the GM ecu and porsche AC.
Spence, I'm not sure what you're saying.

Are you saying there will be a problem with the way I'm currently running my fan after I get my A/C up and running? What is the problem you see?
acorad
acorad

Back to top Go down

Post  spence Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:39 pm

The fans are susposed to come on when the a/c is running. With the way you have it wired now the fans will not come on when the a/c is on.

Arthropraxis used the existing porsche fan relays / wiring; so when he turns on the a/c the fans will come on too. He used the old thermoswitch wires and hooked them up to the GM ECU's high / low speed fan wires. This way the fans are controled by the ECU and the a/c when turned on from in the car will turn the fans on too.
spence
spence

Back to top Go down

Post  spence Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:41 pm

I really don't know if the way you have it wired now will be a problem?
spence
spence

Back to top Go down

Post  acorad Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:00 pm

spence wrote:The fans are susposed to come on when the a/c is running. With the way you have it wired now the fans will not come on when the a/c is on.

Arthropraxis used the existing porsche fan relays / wiring; so when he turns on the a/c the fans will come on too. He used the old thermoswitch wires and hooked them up to the GM ECU's high / low speed fan wires. This way the fans are controled by the ECU and the a/c when turned on from in the car will turn the fans on too.
Thanks Spence, that's probably the best way to do it.

With my setup the fan comes on when the radiator temp gets to about 180F or so, so I guess my A/C would be somewhat marginal until the rad heats up enough to turn the fan on. The rad does heat up fairly quickly though, and will probably do so even faster on hot days coupled with the additional load from the A/C compressor.

I suppose I can always change the wiring and have the GM computer run the A/C & fan if my current system doesn't work out.
acorad
acorad

Back to top Go down

Post  Arthropraxis Thu Jun 16, 2011 6:20 pm

Would something like this work at the firewall to connect to hose to?

Or could the factory hard tube be flared and use an AN to O-ring adapter?
Arthropraxis
Arthropraxis

Back to top Go down

Post  Porch Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:42 am

Has anyone looked into using a different (R134 specific) condenser? I'm going to be doing my system at some point here, but i'm not sure i want to bother trying to get a R12 condenser to work well with R134. Seems like it would be pretty easy to find something out of a small import that fits the bill and puts the ports on the passenger side (so that the lines don't have to be run all the way over to the driver side).
Porch
Porch

Back to top Go down

Post  acorad Mon Jun 20, 2011 2:03 pm

Porch wrote:I'm going to be doing my system at some point here, but i'm not sure i want to bother trying to get a R12 condenser to work well with R134.
What is the problem with the r12 condenser, are you thinking a bigger condenser would be preferred for r134?
acorad
acorad

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum