944Hybrids: 924/944/968 and 928 V8 Conversions
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
HOW TO DO AN ADVANCED SEARCH.

Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:56 pm by Admin

For the benefit of 944Hybrids users there are two search functions available for you to use.
The purpose of this sticky is to explain the "Advanced Search" function because it is much more powerful and is the best choice when researching information.

When you log on to the site a list of options is shown in a line at the top of the page. One option is labelled "Search", use this option (NOT the search box lower down on the right).

After you click on the upper search option, a drop down box appears. At the bottom of this box is a radio button marked "Advanced …

Comments: 0

Latest topics
» NDog52's 1986 NA 5.3 Build - A Summary
It lives... EmptyToday at 11:30 am by Gutterboy

» Honda k24 swap
It lives... EmptyYesterday at 6:12 am by Colibri Green

» power steering pump
It lives... EmptyTue Mar 26, 2024 3:29 pm by Blaizefed

» FRESH BUILD - after a few miles became hard to get into gear
It lives... EmptyTue Mar 26, 2024 1:30 pm by Raymond-P

» VATS Bypass/Delete
It lives... EmptyTue Mar 26, 2024 8:49 am by 948

» Ray's 1987 944 LS1 Build & Swap
It lives... EmptyWed Mar 20, 2024 11:52 pm by Raymond-P

» Purpose of the speed sensor with a stock ECU
It lives... EmptyWed Mar 20, 2024 1:17 pm by Rob44

» FS: Porsche 928 968 944 S2 951 Turbo FRONT BREMBO CALIPERS
It lives... EmptyTue Mar 12, 2024 3:22 pm by dcoutofstep

» 944 S2/Turbo J LTD Edition Front Lip Spoiler - Brand New never fitted
It lives... EmptyTue Mar 12, 2024 2:10 pm by dcoutofstep

» Adding Purge Solenoid Wiring to Standalone Harness
It lives... EmptyTue Mar 12, 2024 12:12 pm by ndog52

March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

I forgot my password

It lives...

+3
Admin
cfgioja
Dan J
7 posters

Go down

It lives... Empty It lives...

Post  Dan J Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:13 pm

First run.

All the wiring complete, lots of small issues getting it going but it sounds great and seems to be running strong. Didn't barf any fluids on initial startup (my irrational fear during all these months of work) and sounds great.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

We'll do some tuning over the weekend on the dyno. Will report back with numbers.

I haven't driven the car yet, but based on the way it sounds and feels (nearly solid motor mounts, solid transmission mount help transmit the rumble to the seat of the pants) it should be ridiculous, if not downright scary.

Dan.
Dan J
Dan J

Back to top Go down

It lives... Empty Re: It lives...

Post  cfgioja Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:58 am

that is great man. sounds good.
cfgioja
cfgioja

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:49 am

Seems the helper is always scared to mash the peddle when your filming! Shocked

Post up pictures.
sounds great!

Admin
Admin
Admin

http://www.TexasPerformanceConcepts.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Arthropraxis Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:14 am

That does sound good. How did you do the exhaust and what type of muffler did you use?
Arthropraxis
Arthropraxis

Back to top Go down

Post  DVC Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:51 am

Congrats! It never gets old hearing the V8 note out of a 944.
DVC
DVC

Back to top Go down

Post  xschop Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:02 am

Nice work Dan. That's what most poor souls hear as you leave them behind. Very Happy
xschop
xschop

Back to top Go down

Post  Dan J Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:45 am

Thanks very much guys. It's been a long road.

There are still a few issues to work through and sort out. No doubt there will be some things that come up once I start driving it as well.

I'll post photos of the exhaust later. I'm using the modified S&P headers. We needed to shorten the passenger side header by a couple inches because it dumps straight down and there wasn't enough clearance with the ground. Other than that, the exhaust consists of 2.5" dual pipes all the way back. There's a small H pipe, followed by flex joints, then cats, then dual Magnaflow straight thru mufflers. We're only using the front o2 sensors. It's reasonably quiet at idle and not too lumpy. It rips above 3k and we haven't yet explored above about 4k.

The motor is a GTO LS1 with 228/228 .114 cams with springs, retainers, pushrods. We haven't revved it up too much yet. I'll let you guys know how it dynos by next week.

The shop I'm working with for the tune - Tom Wong's - has at least a dozen LS7 motors sitting around in various states of assembly. We're already talking about heads and intakes...although my checkbook is going to need a break for a while before any more excess. As we worked yesterday there were about 10 skeptical guys standing around the car with arms crossed, just watching. They were Tom's customers, mostly Corvette, Camaro and street rod guys. By the time we had it running they were all grinning, animated and lot less skeptical of the little foreign car...and I would not be at all surprised if at least one of them was on Craig's list searching for a roller 944 last night!

Again, thanks for the encouragement, advice, information and support guys.
Dan.
Dan J
Dan J

Back to top Go down

Post  laptop_geek Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:40 pm

Great looking car. Glad to see its running. Just out of curiosity about how long did the swap take from taking the old engine out to the state it is in now?
laptop_geek
laptop_geek

Back to top Go down

Post  Dan J Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:59 pm

Thanks. It's really just a 5 footer. The paint is pretty weak on the roof and rear quarters (did someone drive it through juniper bushes on the way back and forth to work every day for some period of time...how else do you scratch paint like that?) and it has some rattle can respray on the front passenger corner. It looks ok for a track car and I've focused on getting it running.

I started in April. Chipped away at it all this time, although many weeks went by without even touching it. During that whole time there were very few opportunities to work on it for a whole day at a time. Mostly an hour or evening here and there, so it moved at a slow pace. Also, scope creep was a HUGE factor. I ended up completely replacing the tranny, suspension, brakes and did some work on the motor too. There was some body work and even time on a frame jig to put the chassis right.

Oh, and I've put it behind me now, but I was part of the parts 944 conversion supply debacle that happened with many on this forum during spring & summer. That chewed into the budget and timframe - not to mention it cost me some momentum.

Oh, and I got the car as a roller. It is a non-sunroof coupe chassis that I bought from a 944 spec racer who wanted the 2.7 motor and tranny.

I haven't driven it yet, so we're not quite done.

Dan.
Dan J
Dan J

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum