HOW TO DO AN ADVANCED SEARCH.

Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:56 pm by Admin

For the benefit of 944Hybrids users there are two search functions available for you to use.
The purpose of this sticky is to explain the "Advanced Search" function because it is much more powerful and is the best choice when researching information.

When you log on to the site a list of options is shown in a line at the top of the page. One option is labelled "Search", use this option (NOT the search box lower down on the right).

After you click on the upper search option, a drop down box appears. At the bottom of this box is a radio button marked "Advanced …

Comments: 0

Latest topics
» Problem with Dual Remote Vacuum Boosters
Today at 9:35 am by johntorg

» 1987 944 Turbo --> LS
Today at 8:39 am by Hotrodz of Dallas

» Iron vs Aluminum LS? discuss...
Today at 8:27 am by Hotrodz of Dallas

» For sale $150 Griffin for LS1 LS Radiator swap
Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:34 pm by matt889

» Rebuilt engine threw three rods
Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:45 pm by jpkinerk

» 1984 Gen IV 5.3 Swap
Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:54 am by superman22x

» Aluminum 5.3 swap
Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:59 pm by turbobob924

» Power and Torque figures
Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:27 am by Fubar

» Aftermaket Seat Options
Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:04 am by Jchard944

» 83' Porsche 944 LM7 Build
Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:47 pm by Jchard944

December 2017
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

I forgot my password

Air intake!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Air intake!

Post  docwyte on Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:17 am

Well,

I arrived back from visiting my folks to discover my "new" (used) K&N air intake had arrived.

Ripped the box open and took it out to the garage for a quick and dirty test fitment.

Looks like it'll fit perfectly! Don't think I'll have to cut anything!

I cleaned the filter and have it drying now, I'll install it tomorrow and take pictures for everyone.

If it fits, this'll be a nice intake that should flow extremely well and fit as long as you're willing to cut out the stock hood latch and run hood pins.

docwyte

Back to top Go down

Re: Air intake!

Post  Admin on Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:21 am

Be careful how much "oil" you put on the filter. I have had a few friends that have over oiled them and the oil will pull out of the filter and onto you MAF screen, and then the MAF will not read properly. Your MAF is really close to the filter so it can be a concern.

Admin
Admin
Admin

http://www.TexasPerformanceConcepts.com

Back to top Go down

Post  944v8inDFW on Thu Dec 30, 2010 9:51 am

My favorite trick on oiled air filters is to oil them let them soak / dry for about 15 minutes then hook them up to a shop vac and run for around 5. Pretty easy to find a PVC adapter that will let you slip on your filter and plug in your shopvac hose at about any hardware store.
944v8inDFW

Back to top Go down

Post  docwyte on Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:30 pm

Not hard to oil them, you just don't want to drench them.

Went out earlier this morning for a more accurate test fit and I lied, I will need to cut some of the header panel support away. If you try to mount the MAF near the throttle body it hits the hood. It's either that or run speed density tuning, which I'm not a fan of since I'm at altitude. Without the MAF the car tends to run strangely up here.

So you have to mount it close to, or inside of the header panel space, at that point, the right side of the MAF, where the plug is, hits the header support strut.

So I'll cut that away, then I'll need to use a piece of pipe or something with 2 silicone interconnects to span the length to the t body.

docwyte

Back to top Go down

Post  docwyte on Sun Jan 02, 2011 5:44 pm

Warmed up enough today for me to play with this some more. I ended up having to notch away some of the header support beam to make room for the MAF. It now sits very nicely tucked under the header support beam.

Cobbled it together using bits of the old intake tube and checked to make sure it would fire up. Luckily it did! I was elated and relieved and then went ahead and reinstalled the header panel.

I then checked to make sure the headlights would go up/down without issue. Well, having a bit of a problem with this. The head lights go up no problem, but won't go down. If I turn the switch off, they just cycle up and down until I put the switch in the "on" position again.

One of the silicone couplers is touching the headlight bar, I assume this is the issue? If so, I'll get a new piece of pipe that's about 1/2-1" longer, that will move the silicone coupler just enough that the head light bar will have a few millimeters of clearance.

Another issue I discovered is the hood won't close all the way. Doh! Turns out it's just hitting the silicone coupler that's attached to the throttle body. Can't really do anything with that, I guess I'll have to notch the hood support beam to make room...

Here are some pictures, starting with what I had to begin with and what I currently have. I switched the intake to get the MAF a little bit away from the air filter, as well as to get a larger air filter in there.

Weigh in with any suggestions please!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

docwyte

Back to top Go down

Post  docwyte on Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:33 pm

Ok, got an accordion hose from a parts reseller. Went out to my garage, held it up in place to see how it'd fit with the MAF.

I was able to fix both of my issues by using a slightly different silicone interconnect between the t-body and oval tube, (the one Eric used on the original intake) and by shoving the entire intake slightly more down into the nose of the car.

I moved the MAF slightly more down towards the nose, that got the silicone interconnect off of the head light bar so the lights will now move up and down freely.

This head light bar is a PITA!

Got it all working though, hood closes fine, head lights go up and down and the new intake is on the car...

Dropping the car off this Wednesday morning to get the new cam installed and have the car re-tuned.

docwyte

Back to top Go down

Post  944-LT1 on Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:04 pm

Building my intake and need some info on your setup if you dont mind. Very Happy

What is this filter? Any info like the part number/manufacturer/dimensions/diameter of coupling flange would help alot.
Also, what are the specs on the acordian type tube thats connected to the filter and where do I get one? Ive seen this tube a few other places but no one posts anything on it.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I recently bought the K&N RP-5135 and its huge but only has a 4" diameter coupling flange whereas the stock LS3 has something oval and larger. Im thinking of returning this filter and finding something more like the yours or the stock filter.

Thanks a bunch for any help!

944-LT1

Back to top Go down

Post  docwyte on Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:11 pm

The filter and coupler are from a K&N FIPK for an F body. I bought the kit used on LS1Tech.com.

I still need to try the accordion hose and move the MAF closer to the throttle body. That will move the air filter away from the nose of the car a bit.

docwyte

Back to top Go down

Post  xschop on Fri Apr 08, 2011 6:26 pm

Hey Doc I just went to a bigger cone filter Spectre #9732 and the accordian hose saved me alot of rework. Freed up some of those ponies.

Mike, I'm using this "accordian" hose, it's 4" diameter.....

xschop

Back to top Go down

Post  944-LT1 on Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:05 pm

K&N FIPK
57 Series FIPK

Awesome Thanks. Very Happy

Im just going to add the PNs here for others.

Air filter: RF-1050
Transition Intake Hose: 08746 [transition from 6" to 3.5"]
Radiused Step Hose: 08749

Filter specs:
Mounting flange OD = Oval 6” x 2”
Base Diameter = 12” x 3.5”
Top Diameter = 11" x 2.5”
Filter Length = 5.75”
Flange Length = 7/8”

944-LT1

Back to top Go down

Post  Porvette951 on Sun Feb 01, 2015 11:40 am

Hey doc, LT1 and others, I'm planning to run a similar intake (upstream of throttle body) and have seen some interesting setups on LS1tech. A GTO I saw on there had a forward facing filter large enough to consume our intercooler bays that was ram air'ed into the throttle body. My build is a racecar as with yours so I don't have to deal with elbows to keep it stock. Running it straight thru like you except no maf (was going to program that out with 411 pcm and go speed density). Was planning to use an in-line filter built within the 4" tube and use a ram air scoop in the intercooler bay, have you guys investigated a similar setup? Primary concerns are with locating a filter since the in line designs are unconventional and still a bit unsure my pcm has speed density capability. Just went by what I've heard. any thoughts?
Porvette951

Back to top Go down

Post  docwyte on Tue Feb 03, 2015 8:54 am

Pretty sure you can do a speed density tune with all the LS pcm's. I haven't had any issues with the location of my air intake, it's been like that for years now.

docwyte

Back to top Go down

Post  Porvette951 on Fri Feb 06, 2015 12:16 am

How about a 4" aluminum duct that has a prefab mount for the IAT sensor? Is this an off the shelf part or will custom fab be required?
Porvette951

Back to top Go down

Post  erioshi on Sat Feb 07, 2015 11:50 am

You might also want to try some searching at norotors.com. That's the primary RX-7 swap site,and they also have a very low hood to contend with. I've seen some very interesting fab work on that site as well.
erioshi

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top